Monday, December 19, 2022

Rosa setigera, Euonymus alatus and stealthy vowels

I wasn't sure what this productive rose species was.

Based on the bristles on the hips, the size and shape of the hip and the size of the clusters I think it is Rosa setigera or "Illinois Prairie Rose". I brought some hips home with me and will try to sprout the seeds. I will also take a few cuttings.

The thorns are ferocious. That is not a bad thing...in the right place.

I was scouting out places to go fishing for carp. Proud, I am not.

This plant caught my attention. It keys-out as Euonymus alatus. Notable for using so many vowels in its name. Unlike Rosa setigera, it is not a native to North America.

Vowels

Old McDonald had a farm.
A-E-I-O-U.
And on this farm she had a rose bush
A-E-I-O-U.
With an "Ouch!" "Ouch!" here
and an "Ouch!", "Ouch!" there,
here an "Ouch!", there an "Ouch!"
Everywhere an "Ouch", "#$%^& OUCH!!!"
Old McDonald had a farm
A-E-I-O-U...and sometimes Y and W...

Little known factoid: Under the rules of phonetics "W" is sometimes a vowel.

Consider the word "Willow". The second "w" is silent and makes the vowel (O) in front of it "say its own name". That is, it functions as a vowel.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting ID on the plant. Have something very similair to that here in EastTN, was IDd as a winged elm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would have initially jumped on winged elm, but 'opposite' branching tips it to Euonymus.

      Delete
  2. Any recipes for carp you'd like to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bake it on a shingle, throw it out, eat the shingle.

      Delete
  3. W is a consonant. It is silent; not a vowel. Else, we could say that the b is silent in the word ‘lamb’ and is therefore a vowel. Clearly that is not the case. Silent letters and vowels are two very different things.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.