Thursday, July 1, 2021

God (and women) laugh when men make plans

 

I was doing great!

I got the fish cleaned and cooked.

I got the rolls made.

I even got to do an errand with my sweetheart.

I had about a third of the lawn mowed. I was on-track to have an OUTSTANDING day.

And then my friend John called. "Hey, let's go cut some fence-posts."

Shucky-darn, drat and dag-it-y-nabbit. The worst part was that it was MY idea.

I noticed this yard where the wind had blown down a Black Locust or two. Black Locust makes very good fence posts. They are only slightly more durable than the blocks of stones used to build the pyramids.

One day I saw a woman working in the yard. I stopped and asked if I could clear up the blow-downs. I offered a princely sum per post and the elderly woman accepted my offer. She thought the blow-downs made the place look un-tidy.

I mentioned it to John because I knew he needed 40, 10' tall fence posts to put around his 150', square garden. 10' long fence posts are not easy to come by unless you cut them yourself.

This random gentleman (not me) is sitting on 18, 10' long posts in the 4"-to-6" diameter range.

What looked like a single blow-down was five trees that had toppled domino-fashion. The butt-ends are approximately 14" diameter and there are four, 10' logs in each tree.

To give you a sense of what a green, 10' long Black Locust log weighs:

  • 9" diameter: 280lbs
  • 10" diameter: 350lbs
  • 11" diameter: 420lbs
  • 12" diameter: 500lbs
  • 14" diameter:  670lbs
I can move a 9" diameter log on the level by rolling it or by lifting one end (only 140 pounds!) and toppling it end-over-end.

I cannot move a 10" diameter log that way. I am just not man enough.

I don't anticipate any problem in getting John's 40 posts, especially if he can split the bigger ones into quarters. The idea of splitting them into quarters is very attractive until you consider the amount of work involved.

For example, four 12" diameter logs will weigh 2000lbs which is a respectable, if not heroic trailer load. The same logs split into quarters are sixteen, 125lb posts.

Anyway, we have time to figure out how we are getting the posts out of the woods.

I paid the woman cash-money as we cut the posts. I felt a need to establish credibility. Money talks. BS walks. I didn't want her to think I was trying to flim-flam her.

I think I am going to be sore tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Get 8 or 10 chain link type fence posts. Lay them perpendicular to the path of the locust fence post. Make like an Egyptian slave. The log will slide and if you are lucky the metal poles will role so someone has to grab the ones left behind and put them in front. I moved an 18' 6 x 10 beam I had cut and pressure treated that way. Positioned it with two stacks of cribbing and bags of concrete as counter balances. 12lb hammer did the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't slide - Use rollers made from limbs two to three inches in diameter. Anything can be used track. I used rough sawn Two by fours. I've moved logs 16 inches in diameter and twelve feet long by this method. One person shoving and one moving rollers ahead. level the track side-to-side.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, you're gonna be sore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't mind the question, What's a "Princely sum?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offered $5 for every 8' post we took out and $7.50 for every 12' post.

      That is about one-third of what rot-resistant, wooden posts go for, retail and perhaps five-times more (maybe even ten-times more) than she would have gotten from a commercial wood-cutter.

      There is a very old saying: Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. I am sure I could have chiseled the price down but treating people fairly, or more than fairly, can open doors that money cannot.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.