Thursday, July 8, 2021

Daily dose of Vitamins W and C

 

Stand up for the Red, White and Blue. We are informed by reliable sources that this young lady is now 24 and the tic-tac-toe tatt extends from her thong-to-her-flag.

A word to the wise is sufficient

Shubb-"L"-Readi
I never have been one of the group that thinks that one ragged hole is the way to go. 
Sure, it proves the accuracy of your pistol or revolver and for specialty groups such as Delta, HRT teams etc where tight, accurate groups are required and innocent lives may depend on it, that's fine and dandy. For me and you that might need to fire under stress that we can't practice on a daily basis, not so fine.

All I require of myself and my firearm is a paper-plate sized group at 20 feet (the maximum sized distance from any point in my house to the maximum distance from any doorway) in a hurry. 
ONE of those hits will result in a disabling or killing shot.

Ka-nuckle-in-drag expected back, live, July 12. Be there or be square

6 comments:

  1. In practice, those groups that will fit inside a 2 or 3" circle at seven yards, are what allow you to hit your plate sized target under stress

    ReplyDelete
  2. While most of us aren't vocationally required to mete out ballistic responses to crime there is still that rare but not unheard of chance where some miscreant is using a loved one as a "shield".

    Being capable of hitting not just the ten ring but the X in the center of that ring might be the difference between a happy or sad outcome...for the loved one. So striving for that level of accuracy isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ka-nuckle-in-drag expected back, live, July 12. Be there or be square."

    The excitement is palpable. Even in his old stomping grounds of the eastern Sierra the earth is shaking in anticipation of his return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellence in handgun shooting requires practice practice practice.

    With the current ammo shortage, draw and dry fire practice is a good thing to do.

    I am conserving my ammo, as i see our country in a near wartime situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I train Newbies to "minute of paper plate" at 25 feet with no attention given to speed of target aquisition or rate of fire.

    Developing "speed of draw and time to first shot" is a separate issue, one that comes after achieving sufficient familiarity and skill with the tool, which does not occur overnight (nor is it enhanced by watching videos, but only by well-focused practice, meaning LOTS of dry fire coupled with proof through live fire).

    But I make sure they understand that first shot is the most important one, and that unlike television or the movies, it will almost certainly take more then one solid hit to eliminate the threat (old joke: Want to double the effectiveness of whatever ammunition you're using? Shoot him twice....).

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my adult life the guys that I shotgun deer hunt with have been obsessed with hitting cigarette package sized targets at 50 yds. in practice.
    I've always used paper plates as targets at 40 or so yards with open sights.
    I guess that I might be doing it wrong, but I've got more deer than I can eat.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.