Wednesday, July 21, 2021

The good shepherd


Woe to the shepherds
who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture, says the LORD.
Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Israel,
against the shepherds who shepherd my people:
You have scattered my sheep and driven them away.
You have not cared for them,
but I will take care to punish your evil deeds.
I myself will gather the remnant of my flock
from all the lands to which I have driven them
and bring them back to their meadow;
there they shall increase and multiply.
I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them
so that they need no longer fear and tremble;
and none shall be missing, says the LORD
  -Jeremiah Chapter 23


This was one of the readings I heard in church last Sunday.

One thing that does not immediately register with a modern reader is the fact that sheep (and other livestock) are mobile wealth. Other common forms of wealth in that era (timber, fish, sheaves of wheat, clay vessels filled with wine, areable land) were not mobile. 

Sheep were THE prime target for major theft. Once stolen, they were like dollar bills, virtually impossible to identify as to the previous owner.

Loss of a significant portion of the flock was likely to be an extinction-level event for the family. The additional protein, fat, fiber and income from the flock was likely to be the difference between successfully raising children or having them die. So in one sense, stealing sheep was worse than a single, isolated homicide.

Yes, lions, bears, leopards, hyenas, wolves, boars, jackals and cheetahs were native to the Holy Land and would gladly feast on sheep, but the apex predator walked on two legs.

Reread the selection from Jeramiah after envisioning untrustworthy neighbors or a tribe from slipping in from the desert. They wait for the shepherd to fall asleep before bashing him in the head and then leading the sheep away.

Woe to the shepherds
who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture, says the LORD.
Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Israel,
against the shepherds who shepherd my people:
You have scattered my sheep and driven them away.
You have not cared for them,
but I will take care to punish your evil deeds.
I myself will gather the remnant of my flock
from all the lands to which I have driven them
and bring them back to their meadow;
there they shall increase and multiply.
I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them
so that they need no longer fear and tremble;
and none shall be missing, says the LORD
  -Jeremiah Chapter 23

The job of being a shepherd is not what Hallmark Cards would lead you to believe.

It was facing down lions and boars and bears at the end of a 6' spear.

It was sleepless nights as the "Gypsies" prowled about the flock looking for a weakness.

It was countless miles of walking and weeks away from family.

It was drinking bitter water and enduring sleet and frost at night and lightning among the high meadows.

It was following your internal compass and disregarding the blandishments of hucksters and quick-buck artists.

It is proving that you are not a man to trifle with. That you are a man of unbending principal.

We should pray that we match that description.

5 comments:

  1. A job that builds character. Remember a shepherd named David that was an ace with a slingshot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet, the upper classes of the day considered them untrustworthy, not even fit to testify in a court of law. Curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So few today understand or are willing to be a shepherd... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owning up to ones mistakes seems like a fair fit here because I may have inadvertently misled some in this flock. Some time ago some one was looking for a new browser and I suggested Opera because of its built in VPN. I have been using said browser for a while now. All of a sudden I started getting a notice from ... you know who that I was going to a lot of places online and then they told me mu I P address. Whoa, VPN was supposed to shield my location. I thought I had configured the VPN correctly, but I was wrong. Once I learned I wasn't at all hidden I did a search and learned I had missed one setting. That setting was corrected and while I still get the warning it doesn't show MY I P address anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, and we may be finding out where we are fairly soon now.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.