Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Getting squared away for the fall vegetable garden

Rosa palustris, Swamp Rose. Eaton Rapids is amply endowed with this species. It is irresistible to bumblebees. If you look closely, you can see at least three blossoms with bees in their centers.

 
The soon-to-be fall vegetable garden. About 700 square feet in area. I am about two weeks behind in my seedbed prep.

Winter Crisp Chinese Cabbage. Planted July 3. I have two other varieties that are shorter season and those will be planted July 14ish.

Kalibos cabbage planted July 1. This is a purple cabbage. While purple vegetables have a photosynthesis handicap, most insects that feed on them are bright green and easy pickings for birds.

Figaro shallots planted July 1. These things are bounding out of the ground.

High temps have been about 90. The mosquitoes are fierce after our eight inches of rain during the last two weeks of June.

1 comment:

  1. Embarrassed to admit I've never had a shallot. Also embarrassed to be posting stuff I'm embarrassed about here. But first things first. Is the banana shallot open pollinated? Last year I told you about my attempts to grow a container garden and my less than great results. Things are going better this season primarily because of correcting the stupidity of what I did last year

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.