Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tanning Leather

I saved the hide from the deer that Kubota shot this fall.  It has been soaking in lye water to loosen the hair.

Captain keeps tabs on many of my projects.  He loaned me a couple of books from his library on tanning hides.  The books sat on top of the shoe bench until recently.  And then they started showing up at Mrs ERJ's place at the table.

I thought nothing of it the first couple of times that I cleared the table and moved the books back.

The third time I moved them from Mrs ERJ's place at the table the light bulb went on.  First it would be tanning hides.  Then it would be darning socks, spinning drier lint into yarn, scavenging frier fat from the vat behind McDeath to make soap.  The potential costs savings are endless.  A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Yesterday I saw her pick up the books and carry them to her place.  I almost fawned over her.  I asked if I could take a picture.  She thought I had gone batty.  This is what I saw when I got back with the camera.

The two books on tanning hides are the perfect height for propping up Mrs ERJ's Nook.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there ya go, see? There's more than one purpose for a good book. My grandaddy used to tan hides occasionally. Messy, god-awful, thankless task, but it does make leather.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.