Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hey, Grandpa, what's for dinner?

I am glad you asked.

14 cups of gazpacho

Gazpacho is an Andalusian word for "chopped up, random garden-vegetables and served up as cold soup". OK, I made that up but it is a fine functional definition.

There really is no recipe. It depends on what is ripe in the garden: Cucumbers, yellow zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, lemon juice, maybe some shredded carrots. It is a fine use for over-ripe cucumbers if you strip-out the seeds and the jelly around them.

As a note for next year, Easy Pick Gold zucchini is superior for Yellow Fin. The Yellow Fin never wanted to shed the spent flower and suffered from blossom-end yuckiness. No such problems from EPG. I like yellow zucchini better than green ones. I can see them so they don't get over-mature and shut down the plant's production.

Vegetables, lacking fats and proteins, it is common to add olive oil or serve with sour cream (the Eastern European variants). I will serve it with bread-and-butter and chicken fingers tonight. I used V-8 juice for the liquid and a bit of lemon juice.

Gazpacho is a great way to keep the heat out of the kitchen and still maintain the illusion that we are high-class people rather than peasants/dirt-people.

9 comments:

  1. It's GOOD, just takes a bit of getting used to eating it cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good Dr. M turned me off to gazpacho early in our courtship, 40 years ago. COLD tomato soup with lots of garlic, and defiled by the presence of raw cucumber.
    I love pickles, but any dish that features raw cucumber... turns me off faster than a turd in the punchbowl.

    She still likes gazpacho... and there's some(commercially-produced) in the fridge right now. But I'm old enough that I'm no longer gonna submit to eating something I don't like... Nope. Just ain't gonna do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ll end up cooking at Blanche’s Road House if you keep that up Joe…

    https://gab.com/groups/4787

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… 3-4 hours/day ./.95 bucks every hour…..>info on web--
    https://www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just put everything in the food processor when making Gazpacho, so there is not really much discussion of the contents. Some areas will make it more liquid and serve it in a glass as a drink, some areas serve it as soup. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missing the cubed Spam.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ll take warm vegetables in white sauce or cheese/Alfredo sauce. I used to make one topped with with bread crumbs or French’s onions that was good. We do very little tomato sauce and no tomato soups lately, lost our taste for it. Tried cold cucumber soup one, it was awful. Much prefer cucumber sandwiches instead.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget the diced jalapeno. Kick it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My lunch/supper was homemade leftover refried bean pizza drowned in veggie soup. If yer gonna be an omnivore, eat like it! It was pretty darn good after being nuked sufficiently.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.