Thursday, January 23, 2014

Field Expedient Repairs

"I found it, Dad!"

I had Belladonna looking for the leak in my windshield washer hose.  It was not hard to find.

Hose was not split by freezing  It looks like a kink that fatigued.



Close up.  Hose separated when I pulled the clip holding the hose to the fender.


A Redneck can fix anything with duct tape and a can of WD-40.


A liberal frosting of Shoe Goo was smeared over the duct tape and a good inch upstream and down.  The joint was wrapped with stretchy, nylon mesh recycled from the top of women's hosiery.
Only time will tell if the repair holds up.  The Shoe Goo quickly became clotted as it cooled in the 10 degree Fahrenheit air.  54 years of making and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches served me well.  Still, it was like trying to spread cold frosting on a very warm cupcake.

The nylon reinforcement was cut from the stretchy band at the top of a pair of women's hosiery.  My mental picture was that the Shoe Goo would squeeze up through the netting before it hardened.

And now I wait a day before firing up the windshield washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.