Thursday, April 13, 2023

Potatoes and coffee

Four rows of potatoes in the ground yesterday. Freaky weather predicted with four days with highs of 80 in a row and dew-points in the 40s.

Staying off my feet for 24 hours seems to have helped my leg.

Every year I wonder why I miss the sucker run. I think it is because I am in the garden. I am planting a 2 ounce piece of potato for seed every foot of row. That is one pound every eight feet of row or six pounds to the 48' row.

Fifty pounds of seed should be good for about eight rows. Locally, a fifty pound bag of seed potatoes runs about $35 which is cheaper than potatoes in the grocery store.

I am growing Kennebec variety. It seems to be a well-balanced package and is reputed to taste good. The ground they are going into is slightly higher in clay than good potato ground. I guess we will see how they do.

Mom visit

I visited mom yesterday morning. A few days ago I was evesdropping on a phone conversation mom's roommate was having. She was lamenting the coffee that was served by the facility. It was spit-warm, weak and cheap coffee that had been brewed in an industrial sized urn.

Easy enough to pick up a cup of coffee on the way in. I got a Biggbee's 16 ounce brewed house-blend coffee. No flavors. Just coffee and water, fresh, hot and strong.

I think it was the high point of her day.

I don't bring this up to pat myself on the back. It is to remind us that small things done from the heart can throw a long shadow.

6 comments:

  1. Amen on the coffee!!
    Pontiac reds and fingerlings have all grown well for me in clay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, bringing coffee. Small things can make a big difference.
    We’ve grown Kennebecs several times with good yield. Potatoes we got were oddly shaped, but seemed to have more flavor. We dig them up by hand to avoid damage. Lately I only plant them in large pots or containers, and then flip over the pot for harvesting. Potatoes are not a main crop for us, just something to have on hand.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thus, Christ's example of the cup of cold water. It is the intent of the gift and the expression of what it represents that brings joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted some potato seeds this year. No idea what they'll be like, maybe we'll get a nifty new variety. We'll plant out seed 'taters in June as always, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We grow Kennebec, Norland, Yukon Gem, Red Dale and Atlantic. I still have a foot and a half of snow on my potato ground here in Alaska. The clay in our soil doesn’t bother except it delays drying in the spring. The Norland and Red Dale are both early red potatoes and seem to yield well even on bad years! Last year we planted 500 feet of row but we share with neighbors and the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ★Makes to per day online work and i received in one month online acting from home. y I am a daily student and work simply one to a pair of hours in my spare time.Everybody will do that job and monline akes extra cash by simply
    open this link HERE...... Daily Online Home Work

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.