Friday, April 7, 2023

Pictures and woodchucks

Mrs ERJ shows an amazing aptitude for fencing

 
Kale that overwintered

Ramps

Woodchucks

The question was asked in comments about a week ago "How do you control woodchucks?"

The short answer is "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom (from woodchucks)"

Anybody who has any experience with attempting to control any form of ubiquitous wildlife knows that reducing the local population is always a temporary solution because there are always "excess" population ready to flow in from surrounding areas.

Physical analogs include the effect that pumping water out of a single well has on the water-table level and the effect of putting an ice-cube on the top of a block of hot iron has on the temperature. Generically, these are called "diffusion phenomena".


 Cecil Farris was a hazelnut breeder who used to live in Lansing Township across from a park and a half-block from a golf-course. He controlled the population of squirrels with a pellet gun. Most years he would log between 70 and 150 squirrels.

It helped that he was on the Township board and the cops like him.

As fast as he could clobber them, more flowed in along the utility wires and fence-lines.

Fortunately for gardeners, woodchucks are not as prolific as tree squirrels, nor are they as mobile.

I have a "buffer zone" around the garden where I monitor old woodchuck holes. I sometimes throw trash like leaves or sticks into the holes (which never go straight down). If the trash gets cleaned out, I know that woodchucks are using them.

I keep the number of holes I am monitoring to a manageable number by stuffing chunks of firewood (usually box elder which is barely worth burning) into holes that are inconvenient to monitor.

I have a few 220 and 160 body-grip traps and I set them in the holes that show evidence of being used.

I also have a fence that I am installing around the salad garden. In general, woodchucks don't bother corn or potatoes or tomatoes. But they will destroy beans, greens, melons-and-squash.

"But what if I have dogs and I am afraid they might get caught in the body-grip trap?"

One alternative is to determine which holes are being used as described earlier. 

Set body-grip trap at the entrance to the hole in the usual way. 

Slide a  length of 1/2" diameter poly tubing as far down the hole as you can reach. It is better if you do not route the tubing through the trap but beside or underneath it.

Put a black, plastic bag over the hole to exclude light (and so Mr Woodchuck cannot see you). 

Pour about a cup of strong (aka, cloudy) ammonia down the length of poly tubing. A funnel is a useful tool that will minimize spilling.

If there is a woodchuck in the burrow, he/she should come blasting out in a minute or two. Of course, it might come out of a different hole, or it might come out the one where you have the trap set. If it came out of a different hole, then plug the other exit with a chunk of firewood, pull the trap and try again another day.

If nothing happens in ten minutes, then the woodchuck was probably not home and you should break-down the set-up to try another day.

It is worth your time to make a chart or a map of where the local woodchuck holes are. Michigan woodchucks are unlikely to stray more than 50 yards from a hole. BUT they love burrowing beneath old buildings and beneath concrete slabs.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

9 comments:

  1. Speaking of squirrels, I ran into a trapper at a convention who received an award for trapping over 15000 squirrels. I sure he ate most of them too as he looked like the the kind of old toothless dude who lived on them. I didn't judge him; he was a great old guy to talk to. He was astonished when they called him up for his award. If I remember right, he thanked God for the award and all the squirrels. Lets see @50 cents a pelt =$7500 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely see a woodchuck here but I have friends near and far that do so I will pass this on. Thanks.---ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pee down the Chuck hole. It'll move on..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding chucks burrowing under slabs: My Dad's barn floor has been destroyed by woodchuck activity. The back quarter of the slab has cracked and dropped at least four inches at the edges. This in spite of me shooting them as fast as I can get a clean shot. If I ever build a barn, it will have a rat wall of some variety, if not 3 feet of concrete below grade around the perimeter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish a little fence like yours would keep the rabbits out of my plot. When we surprise them they will jump and clear four feet of chicken wire easily, then disappear into the surrounding desert. The chipmunks/ground squirrels climb the fences to get in and out. And pocket gophers (we call them Juancito's) cruise around underground one-to-two feet below the surface evading the fences entirely. Add in the occasional coyote or fox chasing one of the above - and javelina sniffing around for a meal, and we ended up adding some welded wire in addition to the chicken wire. And oh yeah, the rattlers like to sit in the shade of the plants too - waiting for the above to wander by I guess. I put up a raptor perch to try to obtain some cooperative policing, but no discernable luck so far. Growing out here in the Sonoran is just a bit different from MI :-) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made over $700 per day using my mobile in part time. I recently got my 5th paycheck of $19632 and all i was doing is to copy and paste work online. this home work makes me able to generate more cash daily easily simple to do work and regular income from this are just superb. Here what i am doing.

    Try now this site.......................>>> USA ONLINE WORK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some tubing from the exhaust of a diesel tractor in to the hole will work as well. Shotgun anyone who tries to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. equal parts baking soda and cornmeal kills rats and mice, I wonder if this would work.

    someone told me they used to put a big pile of cocoa powder out and they'd eat it and die. horribly.
    because they don't drink water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think, I can never earn over which I paid by my precedent employer, but I was wrong, t world is so large to try their fate. but now I am making $52/h even more,and easily earn minimum $1300/week, on the experience everyone must try to do work online, easy way to earn, here’s an example Click Here..... Everyone Can Online Earn

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.