Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Dis, dat an da udder ting....

Back in November I had my annual physical and my total cholesterol was in the range of 260.

My doctor, known as the Old Curmudgeon, stays on top of current research and leans toward conservative responses. He was fine with me "getting religion" and trying to improve the numbers through diet and exercise.

I was retested a few days ago and got the call from the Old Curmudgeon's office. The women there know Mrs ERJ.

"Your wife must want to keep you around" Wendy (names changed) initiated the conversation.

"Beg pardon?" I responded.

"Yeah, I am with the Old Curmudgeon's office and the results of your blood test are back" Wendy said. "Your total cholesterol is down to 204. Now you just keep listening to your wife and doing what she tells you to do" she said.

"Yes ma'am" I said.

I know better than to argue with a lady, most-specially one who knows my wife.

True fact, Mrs ERJ has been very supportive in helping me avoid foods I should not be eating and has been keeping the refrigerator stocked with acceptable substitutes.

And I think Wendy's observation is on-point. The evidence suggests that Mrs ERJ DOES want to keep me around.

Reduced blogging

I need to cut-back on my screen time.

I expect that will mean cutting back to two posts per day.

The garden is calling my name. I have family I need to move. I have to keep Mrs ERJ happy. Reading the news is making me crazy. Lots of great reasons to dial-back on screen time.

I will consider it a favor if any of you want me to fish around for something specific vis-a-vis the mortality data to answer a question that might be on your mind. For example, it might be interesting to see the mortality trajectories over time of various states.

If I had better data, it would be interesting to see if hospital consolidation was a factor. Do regional hospitals change their de facto standards-of-care after they are absorbed by larger hospitals? For example, do they stop treating them locally and simply forward them to the regional hub?

Humans can cause some perverse feedback loops. If they KNOW they are going to be shipped out, they might stop going to the local medical center.

Holding a grudge

It is taking me a while to come to grips with the thought-processes of the perpetually-aggrieved. It occurred to me that it is a variant of somebody holding a grudge or maintaining a blood-feud.

These people are spending 90% of their energy looking in the rear-view mirror.

I have also come to the recognition that I spend less time looking my rear-view mirror than most.

I keep an ample buffet of items in my windshield. I stay in my lane and drive at a speed similar to (or a bit faster) than the majority of my fellow drivers.

Angry, erratic drivers who are SURE the other lane is doing better are the ones who spend too much time looking in the mirrors.

I would rather take a little bit longer to get to my destination and arrive stress-free as opposed to sometimes arriving sooner-but-stressed and sometimes later with damaged fenders.

5 comments:

  1. As long as normal conservative Americans existing pose a threat to the lefts hold on power. Therefore they MUST eradicate us by whatever method required. This isn't about holding a grudge. It's about cementing and expanding their grasp on power...making it eternal. The left literally committed a coup and cheated their way in to power, cheaters are keenly aware of how easy it is to steal power. They have no intention on suffering that fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears to be more than that, to me... its as if our actual existence causes their suffering. Weird. We are content to live and let live, they most definitely are not. We run into problems when there is direct conflict, and look for amenable solutions. They demand fealty and subservience to their viewpoint, even when it contradicts itself, and you are not allowed to point out the incongruity.
      Darwin, Newton, and their ilk, will be the downfall of wokeness. We just have to wait to pick up the pieces.

      Delete
  2. In regards to regional hospitals and health systems.

    The system I work for is not typical, but is likely not unique. The medical center is 1000 beds in a essentially rural county of 200,000 people.
    Our other hospitals are all quite small (one close to 200 beds, 4 less than 100 beds, 3 less than 25 beds

    We are pretty aggressive in providing services at the smaller hospitals. Often these services could not be provided by a stand alone hospital.
    This approach is both philosophical (care close to home, as these hospitals are 1 to 2 hours drive at speed) and necessary (the medical center is generally >95% capacity)

    I would suggest our regional hospitals with system support are achieving a HIGHER standard of care.

    Every system in today's market needs to operate as efficiently as possible, which includes using resources as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m making more than $25k by just doing very easy and simple online job from home. q Last month my friend sis received $94280 from this work by just giving only 2 to 3 hrs. a day. Everybody start earning money online. visit for more details…

    See……….. Online job From Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always taught that holding a grudge was like drinking poison and hoping the other person gets sick.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.