Sunday, April 23, 2023

Little jobs yesterday

Yesterday was a "down day" due to weather.

I did some laundry and washed some floors.

During a non-raining spell, I did some concrete work to "lift" the steps to the front porch that had tipped away from the foundation.

Walk about the property

I walked around the pasture today and looked at the fences and the "woods". Nothing earth-shattering to report. I can see where some Mayapples are growing. I assume they are from the fruit I have tossed out there after Mrs ERJ and I went for our walks and I filled my pockets.

A time to cut down, a time to pick up...

One of the failure modes from last year is that I had filled the yard with brush and other "trash" from pushing back the jungle and then I got hit by a car. I had family members volunteer to drive out from da Big City and mow, but they mowed around the branches.

I am at a similar stage this year and I need to get that stuff dragged off the lawn and on the burn pile before I leave.

If I have to walk home it will take 100 days at fifteen miles per day.

Inventory

While cleaning up last week I stumbled across an "old" laptop that was a tiny, easy to transport size. It is an Asus 1215P. I ordered a charging cable and a fresh battery...and the jacks that the charging cable came with were too big.

Apparently, the Asus 1215P uses a jack with an outer-diameter of 2.5mm. I hate to keep throwing money at the problem but the unit is of no value if I cannot charge it. I found one on eBay that should fit but shipping is slow.

A bird-in-the-hand and all that... 

An anniversary

I ran my first and only marathon on April 23, 2012. My time was five hours and twenty minutes.

I used Google Maps to chart out a 26.2 mile course that started near Spring Arbor, Michigan and ended up near Eaton Rapids. Southern Belle drove me to the start point. We stopped every three miles so I could cache a 24 ounce bottle of electrolyte in the weeds beside the road.

My original plan had been to run in a formal, planned marathon but I choked on paying $100 to run in a city, in a crowd. I have plenty of tee-shirts, thank-you very much.

The temps were mid-40s and the weather was cloudy with occasional mists.

Southern Belle surprised my by joining me for the last half of the run. She got blisters on the bottoms of her feet. We walked the last mile. I could have kept running but I was not going to leave SB behind.

My training program started in the fall. I became distracted during the winter. Then, as a lark did a training run in early March and saw that I still had the stamina to make the distance, although very slowly.

We stopped at the Quality Dairy to pick up drinks when we passed. That probably added ten minutes to our time.

That was about a year before I retired.

4 comments:

  1. ERJ, I have some exterior patch work on concrete to do at New Home - nothing significant, but small things that need to be done. I keep putting them off as I fear I am no good at it, but that does not change the need.

    Longest distance I ever ran was 10 miles. And that was more than enough for me, although the run itself was a really nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be mindful that some cement products (like most mortars) have quick-lime in them and are caustic. Get the right product and if it is caustic, take all reasonable precautions.

      Delete
  2. My daughter asked me if I'd like to run a half marathon with her. I answered that I would but only on the conditions that 1) the zombie apocalypse had begun and 2) I was out of ammunition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Zombies"? Was the song Road to Shambala(ing) written for them?

      https://youtu.be/O3fl2ENXITQ?t=86

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.