Saturday, December 25, 2021

The Christmas Rifle

The Christmas Rifle

Pa never had much compassion for the lazy or for those who squandered their means and then never had enough for the necessities. But for those who were genuinely in need, his heart was as big as all outdoors. It was from him that I learned the greatest joy in life comes from giving, not from receiving.

It was Christmas Eve, 1881. I was 15 years old and feeling like the world had caved in on me, because there just hadn’t been enough money to buy me the rifle that I’d wanted so badly that year for Christmas.

We did the chores early that night for some reason...

More at the link

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for that story. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Christmas spirit demonstration. Thanks for linking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story gets to me every time I read it. Thanks for having me read it again.

    I'm also reminded of "Stubby Pringle's Christmas". I read that in Boys Life as a kid, but never really understood it until I was well into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dusty in here all of a sudden. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.