Saturday, September 1, 2018

Cicadas

Cicadas must smell pretty good.  Honey, my dad's Shih tzu cross carried this little dude for a half a block in his mouth before he spit him out.
I was struck by the heavy buzzing of Cicadas in Maryland when I went to the funeral in the middle of August

A week later I was hearing Cicadas in Lansing, Michigan.

About four days later I was hearing them in rural Eaton Rapids, Michigan.

There are ten species of Cicadas in Michigan.

Even though the larvae are documented as feeding on the roots of hundreds of species of woody plants, the literature suggests that they prefer trees with shallow roots...maples, oaks of the Red Oak clade (perhaps preferring Q. palustris and Q. nigra most), assorted ash species.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.