Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Yard Sale bargains

I picked up a few items at yard sales this weekend.

I bought another potato planter and a roofer's hatched for $5 each.

I also bought a set of cast iron bench ends.

Each slot is sized to accept a 1X3 and the tie-bar at the bottom sets the ends to accept 4' long pieces.
I thought I had cut a fat hog in the posterior when I haggled the guy down to $5.  Today, I am not so sure.

I took Mrs ERJ to one of the local Big Box stores to shop for boards and such.

Kubota is north of 250 pounds and he has the teenager tendency to drop down on furniture.  We decided it would be prudent to go with clear grained oak for the bottom boards ($27) and we went with cedar for the back ($15).

Then, since it is going to be out in the weather we opted for marine grade spar varnish ($15) to seal the wood.  And we opted for brass hardware.  Because of packaging, it was cheaper to buy 25 bolts/nuts/washers ($25).

My $5 bench is rapidly growing in price.  I wonder if I have a future as an F-35 sub-contractor.

Hazelnuts revisited


The NY 398 hazelnuts I grafted are showing signs of life.  I moved the pots to the nursery and sunk them without unpotting the plants.  The pots will not dry out as quickly due to reduced sun loading and I can split them when they go dormant this fall.

Random bug picture


This bug landed at my feet while I was cutting the deer cages to put around the potted hazelnuts.


My Google-fu tells me that  this is an "Eyed Click Beetle", (Alaus oculatus)  It is a big rascal.  He/she is almost an inch-and-a-half (35mm) long, not including antennas.  I was very impressed with his faux eyes.  As always, readers can click on the picture to embiggen.  This insect is listed as a "beneficial" as it eats the larvae of wood borers.

Belladonna update


Bella competed in the Lansing Area Track and Field Honor roll.  She was the second-to-last thrower for discus.  The rain started coming down in buckets when the thrower before her was throwing.  The "pit" is an 8' diameter, 1" sub-flush concrete pad....it filled up with water.  She threw two wounded ducks.  Wet discs are slippery.

Her second set of throws went better but were still way short of her norm.

She took her misfortune like a good sport.  She knows that nobody will go to bed hungry due to what happened.  Nobody suffered a compound fracture or a closed-head injury.  She will get to compete again on Saturday at "States".

"At least I did not fall  on my butt!" was her comment.

Out of curiosity, I asked, "What would you have done if you had fallen on your butt while throwing?"

"I probably would have laughed.  Oh, and I would have gotten wet, of course."

2 comments:

  1. Good for her. Reality is dealing with all those pesky little things that happen... She shrugged it off, which shows me she 'gets' the whole reality means not always winning thingie... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her. Reality is dealing with all those pesky little things that happen... She shrugged it off, which shows me she 'gets' the whole reality means not always winning thingie... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.