Saturday, October 19, 2024

Win some, lose some

The chainsaw is back together with a new side-plate and air filter. I am VERY happy about that.

I am salvaging some lumber from the deck I tore out. Some of the floor joists were 2-by-10s. I found an old "bench saw" that somehow came into my possession. To the best of my remembering, I had never run it and it was missing the fence.

I remedied the lack of a fence with a length of 2-by-4 and some clamps and peeled  2-1/2" off of the edge of the planks that were most rotted. That left me with 2-by-7 inch planks. Looking at the wood, it almost looks like they were ordinary dimension lumber and not treated.

A lady came by while I was shaving off the rotted sides of the planks and patiently waited for me to turn around to notice her. I was clearly wearing hearing protection. She was handing out election propaganda and was intelligent enough to realize that tapping somebody on the shoulder while they are using power-saws was not likely to endear her to me. We were already going to vote for "her guy" anyway so it was easy to be agreeable.

From that perspective, it was a pretty good day. Two tools brought back into use.

Oven

And then...the oven stopped working. One important clue is that we can hear gas hissing, which is not normal.

In the past, I replaced the igniter (a pressed, carbon or graphite squiggle) at least once and I remember the access as being difficult. One option would be to disconnect the gas and yank the unit out of its location and tip it on its back.

Trouble-shooting gas ovens is a little bit hit-and-miss. Some of the elements are wired in series so a marginal igniter will have a large voltage drop and not be able to energize the safety valve. So even though the igniter LOOKS fine (bright, even glow), the lottery ticket is to install the $30 part with the high failure rate rather than jump to the $200 part that is rarely the problem.

This will be one of those times when next-day part delivery is a very good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Are those two things in the picture ear plugs so you don't lose your hearing when it blows up when you re-connect it?--ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceramic wire-nuts.

      There are a lot of fail-safes in the design. A screwed up install almost always results in no-heat rather than KABOOM!

      Delete
  2. Gotta buck says it's the gas valve. I'm seeing a new stove for the ERJ casa ...
    BTDT ...
    A little East of Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If you hear "hissing", and the igniter is glowing,, but no flames, then there is another issue.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.