Monday, October 14, 2024

Demo-ing a 16'-by-16' deck

I am getting to the fiddly parts.

I ripped off the rails and lattice.

I ripped up the decking.

There is a 16'-by-10' frame (gazebo?) over the deck and I want to save as much of the treated lumber as is practical. It has 6, 10' 2"-by-8"s and 10, 8' 2"-by-6" planks.

At the time of this writing, a new, treated 2-by-6 runs a buck-a-foot. I am leaning toward not trying to save them. Just chainsaw the 4-by-4s and yank it off the remnants of the gazebo with at tow-strap and the pickup truck.

The weather turned cool on us. It is good weather for working. No bugs.

2 comments:

  1. Depends on how much extra work you want to put in to saving the lumber. Not only pulling them apart without breaking them or splitting the boards, you'll also have to pull all the nails before you can use them.

    I have plenty of experience in trying to save lumber on demo projects. Sometimes it's just not worth the aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After too many years of salvaging lumber, I've found screwing things together may take longer, but make salvaging easier.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.