Friday, October 18, 2024

High Specific-gravity!

Six pounds of sliced, Kieffer pears and five pounds of sugar made enough pear preserves to fit into 7 pint jars. I was figuring that I would get ten pints but I was wrong.

The recipes on the internet were all volume based, 2-parts thinly sliced pears to 1-part sugar. I did that by eye-ball and those are the weights I ended up with.

The Kieffer pears are very easy to peel. If I get good reviews from my customers, then I will do this again next year. Mostly, I am trying to match memories from when folks my age were kids. The difficultly is that nobody gets as hungry as a kid and no food ever tastes as good. Another joker-in-the-deck is that our taste-buds change. We can tolerate more sour and bitter and they are not as acute.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. So it seems my taste buds mirror my current state: not nearly as acute and able to handle the sour and bitter moments of life better than when I was young. But I still love the taste of a good pear.

    MF

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.