Thursday, August 8, 2024

Not my best work, but not my worst, either

 

Mostly buttoned up. Baseboards still need to go in. White, latex caulk needs to go between the top of the chair-rubmolding and the wall to dress it up. I need to mop the floor.

Quicksilver will spend Saturday night here and then we are back-in-battery in daycare mode for the next ten months.

We went with "egg-shell" gloss level for ease of cleaning. Ditto for the wainscoting. Things would have progressed much more quickly if there had not been so much catastrophic damage to the drywall. In retrospect, it would have been much faster to rip out the old and start with fresh, new drywall.

Live and learn. Or don't.

The only thing that is important is that Mrs ERJ is happy.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks guys.

    It really came together at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But
    Does the thermostat work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC works. We will check the heat when it gets cooler.

      Delete
  3. I HATE doing drywall. And each time that I do, I finally start getting fairly good at it around the end of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in this house for 20 years, and found that latex caulk doesn't hold up long-term. Now I always use 100% silicone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caulk is purely for visual. The cuts for the top of the panelling are approximately 1/4 below the upper edge of the rub-molding. Rather than leave a gap, I will fill it with caulk.

      There should be no flexing or thermal or moisture challenges to the caulk. Latex is very easy to clean-up after applying. That is important to me since this is an appearance application.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.