Thursday, August 8, 2024

Leadership, authority and emotional intimacy

The three topics in the title have certain parallels.

Historically, emotional intimacy was nurtured by one partner making a small, calculated risk and the other partner not abusing that trust. Then, the other partner would reciprocate. Those "risks" often involved information or sharing a vulnerability.

Leadership involves relationships and it involves trust. That domain of leadership is built the same way that emotional intimacy is built; a little bit at a time. Small tasks are assigned and the "followers" attempt to execute the task. It could be as simple as a uniform inspection. The leader's response (focus on resolving shortcomings or berating the person who failed) either grows or diminishes the relationship.

In turn, the "follower" will uncover obstacles to the tasks and feeds them back to the leader. If the leader is realistic in his responses then the relationship grows.

Sometimes the best response is "I think you have what it takes to overcome that obstacle. I will back you if you fall short because it will be a shared failing." Other times the obstacle will involve lack of access to resources needed to overcome the obstacle. If the leader uses his authority to find those resources in an expeditious manner, then the team responds by absorbing the Get Stuff Done attitude.

Like emotional intimacy, there are boundaries to Leadership. I don't let my wife put my tools away (especially when I am in the middle of a project) because it is very frustrating to not put out my hand and "find" my tool where I left it.

Likewise, there are some problems that are outside of the Leadership-Team where it is inappropriate for the leader to become involved. The Leader might make some adjustments so the team-member can buy a car or take a kid to the doctor when they were scheduled to be on-the-clock...but the Leader doesn't DO those things for the team-member.

This part of leadership is an art. If the leader does this too often, then the team suffers because the other members of the team are over-extended when the team-member who was given the "favor" is out-of-battery. There is also the risk that the "favors" will be seen as favoritism which is poison to teams. In either case, the team becomes resentful and less effective.

I had one employee, Kimmie, who was badgering me for a favor. She said I owed it to her because she said "I have done so much for you!" and then she listed all of the things she claimed to have done out of personal loyalty. 

In fact, the things she listed were core job responsibilities and nothing more than what she was being paid to do and that is what I told her. Favor denied.

In another situation, I had a team-member who was militantly (but not flamboyantly) gay. He informed me that the bathroom stall where he did-his-business at break was filled with violent anti-gay graffiti. That has not place in the workplace, just as violently anti-straight graffiti does.

I called housekeeping and they told me that they were aware of the issue but their cleaners would not touch the marker. I went over their heads and explained the situation and demanded that the stall be repainted that weekend (about $2000!)

The next morning the graffiti had magically disappeared. Somebody found a cleaner that was able to remove the ink.

I didn't do it for the team-member. I did it for the team. I am not sure if I communicated that very well, but I could not afford to have one team-member that distracted when he is supposed to be working.

Ironically, the best way to gather personal loyalty is to build the team and make the team-members loyal to, and protective of, the team and the mission. The loyalty that is given to you will be a reflection of that loyalty to the team. 

Frankly, that kind of loyalty has more "transportability" than personal loyalty because people talk. You will not be dragging team-members along with you as your responsibilities change but if your new-team hears about your commitment to "the team and mission" you will have less skepticism to overcome in your new role.

8 comments:

  1. Great management is like magic. It seems to just happen. I think you were one of those management magicians.

    Loyalty to the team: I developed a quick wiring method for some equipment installations we were doing. I was told to train my local team mates as it was a good procedure. Neither was willing to learn it. "You'll be here to do that, why should I learn it?" :/ No repercussions for their attitude.

    Favoritism: One team member was allowed to travel extensively to assist other districts. No one else was allowed to do that. I was tasked to cover my own area and his area during those trips, doubling my workload for weeks at a time. He was hailed a hero and promoted. I lost total trust in my manager and this team member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The militant faggot will be a far bigger problem than the graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenn did you miss the overall POINT of Joe's post?

      The problem was a team destroying 6th grade Mean Girls graffiti.

      "Strong Men " hiding in the toilet graffiti. Need I add a Sarcasm here?

      If the militant gay was a team problem that needs addressing.

      In my EMS and hospital work I know several great team members who are gay. As long as they work well with the team and don't harm anyone, SO WHAT?

      Michael

      Delete
    2. Nonsense!

      Thanks to Joe’s incompetence…there’s nothing to READ in the crapper now…
      😂👍

      Delete
  3. Defending and protecting team members frm abusive vendors or customers is huge. My willingness to fire a booth renter in the antique store or banish a client for abusive language wins people over to you. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the greatest and earliest lessons I had in leadership was in Air Force Tech School.
    It wasn't part of a course.
    I was the Barracks Chief and was in class when I learned that the colonel was going to perform an inspection while we were in class.
    I left class (wrongly) and headed to the barracks to make sure all was well (something I did every day anyhow) and encountered the colonel and the master sergeant at the door.
    The colonel told me that I might as well join him and I did.
    All went well til we hot to the urinals.
    The colonel pointed to the crud in the drain.
    I pointed out that we had tried every cleanser and it had not worked.
    He pulled his knife out of his pocket, showed me how it was done, cleaned his blade in the sing and pocketed it.
    I learned more than cleaning a urinal that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work keeps my comments anonymous
      Ed B

      Delete
  5. I remember back in the '80's Fortune magazine published a story about a Chinese fellow who started out dirt poor and ended up owning three giant plastics factory. Only eight in the world and he just bought the third in USA. He is flying out and does a interview. The quote on the cover was "America: no better worker, no worse manager."
    As I explained to a new manager once, It's not a skills test, it's a character test.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.