Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Just my Opinion (B-stick related): Handguns

Anybody bold enough to tell you what handgun to buy is also the kind of guy who will tell you what kind of lingerie to buy your wife. The comparison is not just funny, it is accurate.

Everybody's body is different. What works for one person can be a total loss for another.

Lingerie has only the most casual and accidental contact with the body of the person who is wearing it. Handguns, likewise, don't have nearly as much contact with the shooter's body as a long-gun.

Handguns are JUST THAT PERSONAL. I will not tell you a no-brainer choice for a handgun, but I am very happy to tell you a couple ways of going about the process of selecting a handgun that will be serviceable.

A shooter that has a grasp of basics

Not just an intellectual understanding of the basics, but a muscle-memory understanding. Shooting a handgun well is more difficult than shooting a long-gun. Issues with sight-picture or trigger control or flinching are completely unmasked with a handgun. There is no forgiveness.

Unfortunately, finding the right handgun is as much art as it is science. In general, one of the most efficient search methods is to jump into the "center" of the field of candidates and see how it fits.

That would be to go to a shooting range and fire the Sig 365 and/or the Glock 19. Both are in 9mm. Both of these firearms are in the center-of-mass for the market and maybe 50% of the shoppers will stop right there. They are as close to a Ford F-150 or a Toyota Camry as any handgun can be.

But if, for whatever reason, the shopper is not satisfied with either offering, the guy on the other side of the counter will have a well defined picture of what direction to explore. Too big, too small, not enough capacity, kicks too hard, too bulky, poor trigger, not enough power, not available in pink.....

A total newbie

It is going to happen. Sometimes it is a woman who has a restraining against her former boyfriend and she knows that he will not respect it. She does not have the time or money or space to go through the learning-curve of long-guns and then to shop handguns.

I am going to defer to Bayou Renaissance Man who has written several OUTSTANDING posts about this topic. (Example). One place where BRM deviates from many "experts" is that he does not dismiss the .22LR in a handgun. His reasoning is worth considering.

It is a very easy cartridge to shoot. Muzzle-blast is not intimidating to the shooter. Ammo is inexpensive. Quality firearms are not expensive. At the time of this writing, Walther P22s are in-stock and selling for $260 and Keltec P17s are sort-of-in-stock and selling for $225.

Ammo selection should focus on reliability and being "zippy" enough to reliably cycle the action. Everybody is going to have an opinion, but you could do far worse than to choose Federal Auto Match ammo.

If budget is your over-riding concern, the Heritage Rough Rider, Single Action revolver is an option. They are available, on sale, at prices as low as $110. These are not works-of-art. They are tools, much like a hatchet or a frying pan. More than one trapper carries a HRR on his trap-line to dispatch animals as large as coyotes. Even though the elite shootist cringes at the thought of depending on an economy, single-action revolver chambered in .22LR, it is infinitely more effective than a scathing verbal rebuke and a defiant flip of one's hair.

99.9% of the time, a hit with a .22 is more effective than a miss with a .44 Magnum.

If the newbie handles the .22LR with confidence then there is a stairstep of more powerful chamberings they can explore if they desire.

---Standard disclaimer: I receive no compensation or other considerations for any recommendations I make on this blog---

20 comments:

  1. I agree, buying a suitable handgun is a very individual experience. Definitely not a one size fits all proposition. I’m a big guy, but I have small hands and to complicate it further a stroke a few years ago limited my use of one hand. I have a number of pistols and revolvers and I wouldnt want to carry most of them. As to using a 22, I’m guessing most folks wouldnt want to get shot by anything and a hit or two by a 22 would redirect the majority. Now that drug fueled crazyman the size of the hulk is just going to get pissed if you shoot him with a 22 but realistically no handgun caliber is going to quick stop him unless you can get a good central nervous system hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great thing is that .22's often have large magazines.
      Shooting into all of the piping over the heart can be effective as is center of the pelvis through to the spine.
      Boat Guy

      Delete
    2. The biggest objection I have to a .22lr is that rimfire ammo is slightly less reliable than centerfire. It isn't a lot different but I have had factory .22 not fire even when the rim was dented.
      I have carried one of those mini revolvers as a backup and if it is all you have or can afford or handle more power tom you. I just feel a bit safer with a centerfire.

      Delete
  2. Buying a firearm without test firing it is like marrying a woman you haven't slept with. You might get lucky but the odds of success are against you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Buy and carry what you are comfortable with. While bigger is often better, it isn't enough better to sacrifice accuracy.
    I've carried a 22 before and I will again.
    I prefer a compact gun I can do deep concealment. I like that NOBODY knows I'm carrying. Other people have different preferences.
    The most important thing is to find what works for you, not what someone else wants you to buy.
    Don't be afraid to change if your initial choice no longer works for you.
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shot placement is the only thing that really matters. 22 pistols have killed lots of critters

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I took my concealed carry class the instructor warned not to carry single action revolvers. If you have to use one and end up in court the prosecutor is going to make you look like a stone cold killer with the deliberate working of the gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of folk-wisdom floating around out there. Some of it is suspect. I have also heard that we are not supposed to shoot people with pink guns or customized guns.

      I am not a lawyer. BUT...the hard line-in-the-sand is the person who shoots again AFTER the threat has been neutralized. That is, the proverbial "Don't come back" head-shot after the threat stops moving.

      The prosecutor will try to make things like a single-action be an issue, but a decent defense lawyer will make him look like an elitist schmuck. "My client purchased this gun because it was the only one available at a price she could afford. Are you saying this would have been a righteous shooting if she used a $1400 Wilson Combat 1911?"

      Delete
  6. My wife has a .38 special around the house and a 16 gauge shotgun of things get interesting. She tried a .380 auto and can’t work the action! When I did more hunting or fishing I carried a .44 mag for backup. Since I’m using a walker now I carry a .357 mag around the yard and in the city. Where you are makes a difference in Anchorage or Fairbanks Alaska in winter a 9mm might not get through heavy winter clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So are you saying my wife should try a lot of lingerie to see what fits her best?
    sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sam...there is more to functionality than just fit.

      Is she willing to wear it every day or night (as circumstances warrant)?

      How easily can the lingerie be removed from the holster?

      Is it stiff? Does it need to be cycled a lot of times to make it supple and pliable?

      Some people swear by having summer lingerie and winter lingerie. Is that the best option for your wife?

      Then there is the entire issue of "toys" like lights and rails and lasers and sights. Many shooters go through a stage where they want to try every configuration of toys which is jolly good fun and all that. That said, many of those shooters come back to a high-speed, low-drag, basic set of lingerie because too much glitter detracts from the main attraction.

      Delete
  8. The only time I ever was confronted by several strangers (illegal aliens) on our property was with a .22lr handgun on my hip. My brother and I were sitting on our rear porch on the ranch when the livestock in corral suddenly spooked and bolted for the gate - that was when we knew something just appeared.

    We walked around the corner of the house and found three 'travelers', who greeted us and asked if we had any work for them to do. I told them no, not at this time. They asked how far it was from here to New York City. (According to Google Maps, about 1,665 miles thetaway, give or take). I told them it was still far off. They smiled and walked away, no threats made or later break ins (which on the southern border is a common occurrence at unoccuppied structures.)

    I patted the little Erma-Excam RX22 auto on my hip and figured I was lucky to have it. That is the great thing about a handgun - IT IS ON YOUR PERSON 100% OF THE TIME. Not left leaning against the wall by the chair or inside on the bed - right there when you need it. That pistol is a 'high miler' - very often carried because it stays out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Heritage Rough Rider also comes with a 22 Mag cylinder and that according to Ballistics by the inch gives you almost 22 LR Carbine level of power.

    During cowboy action shoots I find it has a natural point and most of my friends rapidly find delight they can pop the popup window or door bag guy quite quickly.

    Maybe its because I can find 325 round boxes of bulk 22LR 36 grain HP cheaply so plenty of live fire happens.

    Problem with a small weapon is lack of intimidation factor WITH Angry but not insane people. As a Police Aux I have seen how cycling the 12 gauge pump calm the water often enough.

    As someone that works EMS and OR I can assure you a pair of 22 LR (or Mag) in the pelvis area is a real mess.

    Pity we have gotten to this place where this is a real conversation. But here we are. Pity that self-defense ends with "I want my lawyer" instead of talking to Officer Friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You forgot to mention that 22 lr has been first choice of deer poachers and mob hitmen for a long time. Don't forget the .32 caliber either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, the Fed Auto Match is too slow, rated at 1200fps, gonna be lots slower out of a pistol. CCI Velocitor at 40 gr., is rated at 1435fps, but out of a 2 to 3 inch pocket pistol, won't make 1000fps. Out of an 18.5 inch Ruger 10/22 it's doing 1380ish. When it comes to 22's, the more energy you start with the better. Agiula makes a 40 gr. 1470fps (claimed) high velocity and Winchester makes a 40 gr. 1435fps round also. That's about as good as it gets with 22s.
    If you get a 380 size auto, they hold plenty and they're easier to shoot fast and accurately. With a 22, hose them liberally around the head and chest, then run away fast, they will be much slower than before the hosing. Also, it's easier and cheaper to develop the skill to put those light weight, little tiny pills where they need to go. YMMV.
    At one time, the 22 was the no.1 killer of people (because it was most numerous), but now it's 9mm.
    My ranch gun is a Ruger, 10/22 Charger with a 10" barrel and a five year old Chyneez red/green dot, holds a zero, left it out over night in the rain (once) three years ago. Only had to dispatch one coyote so far. No problem putting every round on a 3" steel disc at 50 yards, rested.
    Holy chit mon! Ran off the rails there! Musta been that 2nd mug of coffee, yeah, that's the ticket! That and I'm a golden moldy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tree Mike:

      I had one rifle that had extractor issues with Velocitor ammo. I suspect it was a combination of "warmish" pressures, a slight bit of roughness in the chamber and an extractor that was not super aggressive.

      It left the fired brass in the chamber and bringing the weapon back into action required the application of a cleaning rod from the muzzle end.

      I loved the Velocitors for getting new shooters excited. They positively EXPLODED raw potatoes. But the fact that they were not 100% reliable in all of my weapons soured me on them.

      I have this strong belief that my brain will stop functioning when the Martians land in my back-yard. I need to be sure that any ammo reloaded into the closest weapon is going to work.

      Delete
  12. Since we have some gun guys here, I have a safety question. I have hand problems and find racking a slide very difficult. A lot of my pistols are hammer fired and I can rack the slide more easily if I thumb cock the hammer first. Is there any safety issue with that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nobody likes to get shot so getting shot by a .22 is still something to avoid. My only issue is that most autoloader .22 can be picky about what type ammo you feed them. Try a bunch and find out what goes off everytime..

    I bring a" bag o guns" with me when someone has an interest in handguns. Start with a suppressed 22/45 and work up from there. Striker fired pistols seem to be the first choice with the M&P 9 the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. T/Sgt Joe, I see no safety issues with thumb cocking an exposed hammer auto before working its slide.
    Re handgun choices, I agree that the SA rimfire revolvers (Rough Rider, Heritage, etc) are solid choices.
    Many folks ( especially single mothers) simply cannot afford more, and are not gun collectors. They want only one, and many find the 3.5” barreled round butt variants to be perfect for them.
    I bought such a Heritage during the depths of the last ammo drought, my only complaints were its manual safety and the LR only cylinder.
    I found I could order a magnum cylinder for $30, and later found that many single mother types prefer a manual safety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CZ 75 of one size or another, Glock 9mm of one size or another, and the HK VP9 are always the right pistols. Sig P365X is growing on me.

    Babydoll, maxi slip, and bra-and-thong are always the answers for lingerie. Bodysuit if the girl has the right proportions. Basically, whatever emphasizes the boobs and hips together.

    I kid only sort of. 😜

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.