Friday, August 23, 2024

"It keeps me very busy..."

 

Andrew Millison is something of a rock-star in the Permaculture (Permanent-Agriculture) community.

This is a thirteen minute video where he walks around his yard and shows you what he is growing.

Smoothly done. Relaxing to listen to and to watch. This video is....peaceful.

A simple caution, he lives in a very friendly climate. There are not many places in the world where one can grow Thimble Berries, Figs and Guava in the same place. 

Don't use his efforts as a yard-stick for your own success. 

Key points: Diversity spans a multitude of dimensions: Plant lifespans, ripening periods, genetic families, resilience to stressors, nutrient profiles, culinary characteristics, vertical strata sun-catcher positions, potential to support beneficial insect/arachnid populations, plant nutrient cycling characteristics and many more.

7 comments:

  1. That is... awesome! The video was a treat to watch, thanks for the share!

    I'd like to have a garden some day - keeping in mind all of the garden-related posts you make to inspire me when I get that going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get frustrated sometimes with gardening, makes me wonder how he does it. Bugs and rodents kill off or eat some my vegetables. Too much rain this year, and squash bugs, killed or rotted my zucchini. Hard to believe, we’re usually giving it away most years.
    Raspberries did okay for a year or two, then died back. I replanted twice, and the new stock never grew.
    Some years I have an abundance, some years are bust.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the plus side, my snow peas did very well this year, and the pear tree is loaded, with no sign of squirrel damage yet.
      SNH

      Delete
    2. Very much a mixed bag here, too.

      If things get goofy, I am going to kill a lot of squirrels.

      Cecil Farris, a hazelnut and walnut breeder in Lansing Township lived east of a golf-course and north of a city park.

      One year, March-through-September, he killed 172 squirrels with his pellet gun. He either nailed them as they came to his yard tight-roping along a power-line or he whacked them on the top-rail of his board fence.

      He had very fertile compost the next year.

      Delete
    3. Wife and I were discussing the weird of this year's garden yesterday. My biggest takeaway from working the garden/orchard/vineyard that we have is that the produce section of the grocery store is truly a miracle.

      Delete
  3. I practice that ... I have an edible yard I started in 2000. It produces pretty good now. A lot depends on rainfall and freezes or lack of... Still, with the wild greenery and fishing and/or hunt/trapping I do fine. An recently retired so I can really practice it going forward. Have a little bit of livestock also. Dwindling that down to juuust enough also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading quite a bit into permaculture, I've come to conclude that Stephane Sobkowiak has cracked to code for how to make it work at larger scale rather than at the hobby scale.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.