Friday, November 7, 2014

Windbreaks (mostly pictures)

Work on the windbreak started today.  It was a great day to be outside.  Partially cloudy and 45 degrees F.

Before
Mostly cleared out.  Wrapped tree in the foreground (leaning to left) is a pear tree.  This row of the windbreak is to parallel the side of the barn and continue past the far end.
The bigger stems that were not to punky were cut into 6 foot lengths and put in one of the barns.
A freshly planted chestnut tree.  Chestnut trees with some Chinese Chestnut (Castenea mollisima) in their genetics make excellent windbreaks because they retain their leaves through most of the winter.
Intricate, delicate root hairs.  That is one reason why five minutes from dug-to-replanted is a great thing.
Armored against rabbits and other nibbling varmints.  I am using "masking paper" this year and am finding it easy to work with.  I used newspaper in previous years but no longer have a source of recycled newspapers.
I had a goal of clearing forty feet of lane and planting three trees.  Things went very well and I was able to get seven trees moved.  I have another six trees to move to finish the row.  I need to buy some more shovels.  The cheap shovels from Menards all broke.  It looks like they used a couple of brads to hold the handle to the blade rather than a through-rivet.  The stem of the blade flexes and the handle, which looks like pine rather than hickory or ash, breaks.

Gratuitous eyecandy


Some of the stems I was cutting were Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina).  I made a knife handle out of the heartwood once.  It is soft and brittle but very colorful.

Cut on the diagonal with a chain saw
A close-up of the cut.
I don't know if any readers would have a use for this wood.  I have it up to 6" diameter and will gladly UPS flat rate it to anybody who might get some use out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.