Sunday, November 9, 2014

Tannerite

Yesterday was a rainy day.  I did nothing outside.  Rather, I dinked around on the internet.



One of my guilty pleasures is watching video.  I was baffled by the change in the color of the ground that occurred in the slow motion replays.  A good example can be seen at 1:15 (and 1:42 and 1:51) of the video posted above.

I finally deduced that it must be the seismic wave propagating radially from the blast since it seems to outrun the blast wave (Old NFO, correct me if I have this wrong).  I wonder if they are transverse or longitudinal. 

This is of local interest because we have an oil/geology exploration company in the neighborhood placing sensors and "caps" on a fifty meter grid as far as the eye can see.  They did this about fifteen years ago.  There have been huge advances in the technology.  Fifteen years ago everything was connected with cables.  This time it is all wireless.

I suspect there have also been advances on the software side.  I once witnessed an ultrasound technician check out a person's heart for hypertrophy.  Incredible processing and imaging capability was at his finger tips.  I would be surprised if some of that capability had not leaked into oil/geological exploration.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct sir, that is the blast wave! The orange tint is Tannerite the white cloud is the dust cloud.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.