Punch-list of things to do before a hurricane courtesy of Alpha Rubicon with a couple of points I thought were particularly germane.
- What to do if you decide to ride out the storm.
* First, you need to reconsider your decision to ride out the storm.
- ...have a good portable radio
- Make a videotape recording of your property.
- ...plastic bags are your friends.
After the Hurricane also courtesy of Alpha Rubicon These are fast reads
- Mold-related respiratory illnesses surface from people still living in their storm-damaged and damp homes
- Scammers attacking gullible victims charging "inspection fees"
- Antibiotics in demand as doctors treat a myriad of patients with infections started with a scratched mosquito bite or other itch
- Dogs have banded together to survive on the streets of Charlotte County having reverted to the pack mentality.
- bug spray - (have) enough to several times daily, every day for a month
- Distraught residents talk about suicide, having nothing left to live for
- "Boil water" order is in effect. Few residents have communications to hear this warning (or have heat source to boil it)
- During Hurricane Hugo I elected to stay in my home, to guard my family's possessions from looters. I was ready and willing to help my neighbors guard their homes, clean up debris after the fact, and in general be an all around model survivalist... then the wind started.