Monday, March 28, 2022

Blogging will be light today

Today Mrs ERJ and I are celebrating 35 years of wedded bliss.

Blogging will take a back-seat today.

Editorializing

Being married to Mrs ERJ has been GREAT. It was the single best thing I ever did.

I realize that luck, or God's Grace had a huge hand in it. Prospective spouses take great pains to photo-shop who they are. Many change after the ceremony.

In retrospect, the single best signal I had with regard to Mrs ERJ's quality was from the men in her life. I am talking about brothers, uncles and cousins. I am talking about the husbands of her women friends. A very high percentage of them told me that they would cheerfully break every bone in my body if I hurt her in any way.

The implicit message was not that she was a "bum-magnet" but that she threw herself into life without reservation, that she loved deeply, was loyal to a fault and still trusted men.

I can think of no higher recommendation for a future wife.

16 comments:

  1. My hearty congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartfelt congratulations to you both, Joe.
    I will raise a glass in your honor tonight. Enjoy this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember fondly while I was in Jr High and my older sisters were in high school. My dad never missed an opportunity to remind the young men "sniffing around" his daughters of consequences (his description of suitors courting).

    His favorite trick was to intercept land line conversations by picking up the receiver and bluntly interjection himself usually as follows. "Hello Karl this is Amy's dad. Do you know why I have guns Karl?" Silence would just begin to get awkward then... "Karl, I have guns because I have daughters".

    My sisters would feign embarrassment and exasperation, at my dad's actions, but their protests were always fake and ended with my dad winking at my sisters and them smiling as he returned their land line conversation back to normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. You are a wise man...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding! Congratulations to the both of you! May your years together continue to grow and enrich your livs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr and Misses ERJ, I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day together and relish in each others company. Enjoy. Allan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Mr. and Mrs. ERJ.

    TDW-Mark II has proven to be, for me, a considerable improvement over the Mark I version. And, viewed from years of mellowing of my perspective, Mark I was no slouch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. ERJ! Many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to ERJ and Mrs. ERJ. I hope you have many, many more great years together.--ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to y'all! Here's to the next 38!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I hope you have a really pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Pray you had an excellent, blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on Mrs. ERJ's patience. My bride and I are coming up on our 35th next month. She said I was the only guy she could put up with for more than two hours - I think she's the only woman who would put up with me for more than two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to you and the missus, Joe. What a blessing to have found a spouse that endures, and loves for all time. The two of you are quite an example for those *less experienced*. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belated congratulations to the two of you, best wishes for many happy years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.