Friday, August 15, 2014

Dug some potatoes today

I put in a big potato patch this year.  It is on a fertile patch of ground and we had great rain this year.

The downside is that I did not have pathways planned and potato patch was off the beaten path.  I did not care for it very well.

So it was with some trepidation when I dug one hill of potatoes.  I wanted to see how many there were and I wanted to taste these "gourmet" potatoes.

Click on picture to embiggen.

Man's wristwatch included for size reference.  Much better yield that I deserve considering my lack-of-care.  This hill yielded well over a pound of potatoes. 

They live up to their billing regarding taste.  The first two potatoes I ate had "hollow heart" so I will keep an eye out for that.

These potatoes are named "Spartan Splash" because they came out of the Michigan State Spartan breeding program.  Given the color scheme I think they would be better named for this school



Maybe I can get a little potato salad business going with Pawpaw and Tanker.

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you ever put in a second plant of potatoes. I dug one raised bed day before yesterday, and there were many undersized ones. So I tilled up the bed (after manuring) and put the little ones back in the ground. I live in Northeast Indiana and *may* have enough time before frost to see them finish. Any feed back there, Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like potatoes have an inherent "dormancy" period that must be gone through before they sprout.

    From this source extension.uidaho.edu/kimberly/files/2013/.../Olsen-Dormancy-2009.pdf

    "The biological advantage for a dormancy period in a plant is survival of the species. The inherent dormancy of potatoes allow for most varieties to overwinter, barring any freezing conditions, and resprout in the spring thereby reproducing and perpetuating the species. Tuber dormancy keeps
    the potatoes from sprouting in the fall and therefore reducing chances of the species being killed by unfavorable winter conditions. We know this effective survival mechanism all too well when trying to control volunteer potatoes."

    I think you are out of luck for potatoes again this season. You still have time for almost any kind of greens (Winter Density Lettuce is a first rate pick here) or the more cold tolerant root crops like turnips. You might also have time for snap peas.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks for the feedback, Joe. We are good on peas. Might try the turnips. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.