Tuesday, March 8, 2022

I am still here

I acquired a new family member at 11:54 last night. Her name is Bijan Nordstrom Prada Eaton. Hey, brand-names sell. Mother and child are both doing well.

My plans for the day got rerouted when Kubota called and asked if I had any work. Mrs ERJ and I were on our daily walk. Of COURSE I have work.

I had him burn the wood Mrs ERJ and I pulled out of the orchard. While he was watching the burn pile I cut and dragged more wood to him.

It burned slowly. Most of the wood was very green.

Kubota decided he needed to leave before it was all burned. I paid him what I figured I owed him. I told him what work I have on-tap for tomorrow if he wants to help and he went on his way. I think he is mourning the fact that he no longer lives here.

I got to sit in a chair and watch wood burn instead of sanding drywall. That was a nice change-of-pace from two standpoints. I was whipped from dragging brush. I had been working steadily for about three hours at that point: A one-hour walk and then a couple of hours of cutting and dragging brush. Also, I would rather be outside than inside getting coated with dust.

One thought I was mulling over is that kids seem to struggle more with the differences between "I live here", "I am a tenant here" and "I am a guest who is visiting here". When I was a young man the different privileges-and-responsibilities that went with each status were clearer.

But then a LOT of statuses were clearer. For example, you were almost certainly married if you were living with a woman...or well on the way toward that goal. The kids in your household were yours or you were their step-father. And so on.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new family member!

    Yes, statuses are very much "fluid" now. To avoid all uncomfortableness, I pretty much avoid those sorts of conversations as much as possible lest I trip myself up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And the young, and sometimes even the older do not have their status clearly defined in their own minds and when you think you have it figured out that status is so fluid it morphs into something else without conscious thought on their part. It is sure awkward on occasion. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I well remember the day after I graduated college. My dad pulled me aside and told me in a heartfelt tone that I was "welcome to stay here (home) until I got a job". That was 45 years ago and to the day he died, I really never understood how he meant that. (I had a job within two weeks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day I left for basic at 17, my dad said... You're a man now, son, and he symbolically broke my dinner plate over the corner of the table. Then he slapped me on the shoulder and said, That's a joke son. You're always welcome to visit. And make sure you write your Mother once a week.

      Delete
  4. I was talking with an old college roomie a couple years ago and lamented that my kids split for college at the first available moment and haven't been back except for the odd weekend and holiday in fifteen, going on twenty years. "Why do they hate me so ?" I wondered. "What did I do wrong ?" "Nothing." He said. "I've got the exact opposite problem - I can't get 'em to leave. And when they do they keep coming back." From that perspective, I'm blessed. My time is my own. I don't have to deal with their dramas, they can figure them out themselves just like we did 600 miles from our folks. It'll probably be nice to have them closer as we get older and feeble, but for now far is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new family member. Hope Mom and family are happy and well, ready to hit the ground running. My children are young adults, but I still recall all of the activity of bringing that child home for the 1st time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents made it crystal clear. When I became 18, I was expected to go away to school, get a job and move, or I could stay at home while going to school locally. I was expected to do something with my life.

    I told my kids that story as a prelude to explaining the new rules - I don't have to let them live here, I don't have to pay for school.

    So they all did their thing. I will say that my son was a model roommate while he was going to college locally. Although he did spin that concept around - I don't have to help with your stupid projects any more unless you ask nice. He'll still come and help if I ask. I never do. Herself does.

    We're in that magic age where they are all adults, before they have the burden of taking care of us. That day hopefully is far off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have done something right . Our kids are helping us tremendously in our elder years just as we hoped they would . We helped them a lot when they were bringing up their little ones and it seems the biblical concept of " reaping what we sowed " is coming home to roost . It's a good feeling !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Grandbabies are so fun.
    Then the parents take them home.
    If you raised your children you'll be able to spoil your grandchildren.
    Maxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. After I moved out, my parents offered me a key to their home. I declined. I also said I'll always knock on the door and wait for it to be answered. If no answer, I'll come back later. It seemed only right and proper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.