Sunday, September 22, 2024

You aren't tough enough for Texas!

I have a shirttail relative who was born in Michigan but grew up in Texas. He now lives in an un-named, deep-blue nanny-state.

He confidently informed me that "You aren't tough enough to live in Texas."

That statement struck me as odd.

Is it really a matter of being "tough"?

I want to think that I am "respectful" enough and "courteous" enough to find a place in Texas should the need arise.

Perhaps "toughness" comes into play when things aren't exactly what you expect and you have to bite-your-tongue. But that can just as easily fall under being a good house-guest or courtesy.

I say "Howdy".

I say "Sir" and "Ma'am".

I say "Please", "Yes" and "Thank-you".

I say "Grace", "God-bless you" and "Adios".

I mean every word. None of them are forced.

So far, there are not a lot of places I cannot go back to.

9 comments:

  1. Not to be a "sharpshooter", but--
    I think you have a mistake in the first sentence-- I believe you meant the "second "Michigan" to be "Texas"
    ??

    And I would agree with you
    having lived in Michigan for 65 of my years-- given your background (Eaton Rapids) and your interests --I believe you would fit right in
    If however, you were from the "Points" or Northwest suburbs -- well then it might be questionable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. I was gonna point it out but you beat me to it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. From one Houstonian to another… yep!

      Delete
  3. Might have meant the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes large that the FAA requires nav lights for ‘em…. It does take a bit out of you. Thank God for A/C…

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was the "all you could eat" seafood and prime rib place once that did not mean it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s all in the attitude

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would recommend looking north. ---ken

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.