Thursday, September 5, 2024

Old music still bending moods

We all know people who are struggling. Some of them are younger and are unlikely to know the strength that can be found in "old" music.

I recently had a chance to suggest some music to somebody whose life has been a sh!t-sandwich. These are the songs I suggested:

Like a Bridge Over Troubled Water
You've Got a Friend
Amazing Grace version one
Amazing Grace version two

What a Wonderful World suggested by Irontomflint
Even If by MercyMe suggested by LindaG
My Sweet Lord suggested by RHT447
Lay my Burden Down suggested by Boatguy
Fire and Rain suggested by Anon 11:58 PM
Emmy Lou Harris and Ricky Scaggs suggested by Anon 11:51 PM

Sunny Side of the Street suggested by Anon 6:30 AM, Sept 6
Let it be Me suggested by Southern NH
Leaning on the Everlasting Arm suggested by Coonhollow
Hurt suggested by Anon 8:03 PM
Enjoy Yourself suggested by Anon 8:21 PM
Do-Wacka-Do suggested by STxAR
Mary Ellen Carter suggested by Bob 
If You're Going Through Hell also suggested by Bob

Square, Plumb and True suggested by Anon Sept 7 (A foundation square, plumb and true is a house half-built)

These are not complicated songs. They are not highly-produced. Most of the sound is human-voice. I think that is a strength because it offers human "connection".

I am not the bridge over troubled water.

I am not the ultimate friend.

I am not the source of Grace.

I would be a fraud and a liar if I pretended to be.

But when life is full of suckage, we need to be reminded of simple truths and we need human connection that is not knifing us in the back. We need GOD and we need to be reminded that He is always there, waiting for us to ask for a relationship with Him.

I am sure there are better songs and better artists, but those are the ones that popped into my head. I offer them as a thought-starter because we never know when the coach is going to throw us into the game and ask us to help others through a rough patch or two.

19 comments:

  1. What A Wonderful World, by Louis Armstrong
    irontomflint

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband passed last year the song that helped me the most was "Even If" by Mercy Me.

    I have listened to Life in 3D before. They are very good. And I have listened to Pentatonix before. They are good, too.
    "You've Got a Friend" is a classic, as is "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
    You all be safe and God bless. (Your friend also.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy Preston. "My Sweet Lord"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EORbL8N-R8

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Joe, we are NOT. But thank you for reminding us of some of the beauty around us in physical and human form.
    Anything sung by Allison Kraus or Emmylou Harris counts in this regard.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband would have agreed with you on Allison Kraus.

      Delete
  5. James Taylor - Fire and Rain. I hate his politics but what a singing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add to the starter pack
    Emmylou and Ricky Skaggs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO4jZ3pvgNU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peggy Lee and John Goodman, Sunny side of the Street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choices, Bridge Over Troubled Water is a favorite. It also strikes me as our Lord telling me He will be with me through the trouble.
    Everly Bros Let It Be Me holds the same message for me. Not quite the uplift you were talking about, but I like it.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  9. What, no votes for that WAP one? (/sarc)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leaning on the everlasting arms....Iris Dement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. safe and secure from all alarms....

      Delete
  11. Hurt by Johnny Cash

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy Yourself by Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VvuoqQdWc

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sakes I hate my sweet lord.... I really can't tell why... it just irritates my ears. Doowackadoo by Roger Miller was uplifting to me. I always wanted to have "way in the back, you got money in a sack... both hands on the wheel and your shoulders right back!"..... Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Ellen Carter and If You're Thru Hell

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find "Square, Plumb and True" by Dustin Ruth uplifting, if a bit aspirational. The chorus includes the line Please remember my only prayer to you is, "Let me build a life that's square plumb and true." I'm only finding it right now on the Essential Craftsman channel on YouTube. The man in the video is Scott Wadsworth, and one wouldn't go too far wrong to think of him as a gentle grandfather mentor.

    Jim_R

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bob, your song reminded me of "If You're Going Through Hell" by Rodney Atkins.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.