Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Sad dogs, concrete work, glasses for night driving

Our dog is not very mobile today.

One of the issues might be that it was icy yesterday and he could have done the "splits" and now he is sore.

The other is that he is old. A third possibility is that he might be afflicted with the mystery respiratory disease that seems to be spread by dogs. This last option is the least likely. We don't have much contact with other dogs. But the fact that this ailment is out there makes us reluctant to take him to the vet.

Having anybody in the house feel under-the-weather takes joy out of my life. And that includes the dog.

Concrete work

I poured a small concrete slab today to secure an appliance. Not my best work but not my worst, either. Now I need to ignore my work for three days so I don't mess it up.

Concrete work is a bit like acne. There comes a point where picking at your zits only makes things worse. It is similar with concrete. If you get within a 1/2" it is good enough for many projects and a 1/4" is golden for most work.

Yellow, polarized glasses for night driving

Neither Mrs ERJ or I relish driving after dark. That becomes more limiting when we only have eight hours of daylight.

Mrs ERJ was at her book club and one of the other ladies was singing the praises of her yellow-tinted, polarized "sun glasses" for night driving. So much so that Mrs ERJ gently suggested that I purchase a pair for her.

I reckon that means I am done with my Christmas shopping.

Any readers out there who can speak to the effectiveness of yellow-tinted, polarized glasses for night driving? Is there something better?

9 comments:

  1. That's the best thing for night driving, I also hold a hat at arms length to cover the area with on-coming headlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I both keep yellow glasses in our vehicles. Best thing you can do at night and in fog. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean SHOOTING glasses Joe!?!?!?

    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/smith-wesson-mp-super-cobra-shooting-glasses

    https://www.2020onsite.com/hs-fs/hubfs/glasses-The-Big-Lebowski-John-Goodman.jpg?width=640&name=glasses-The-Big-Lebowski-John-Goodman.jpg

    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. On concrete work, if it's for general use and doesn't have to be perfectly smooth and flat, like for an interior floor slab, the mantra is" hit it a lick and promise it better", then move on. Especially if it's for a driveway slab or sidewalk where you're going to be putting a "broom finish" on it to help prevent slipping on it when wet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow lenses are a driving benefit, for some people. Only way to know is to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have called, I love doing concrete work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been begging my Optician for a couple decades to find and make me a pair of prescription un-tinted polarized night driving glasses. Circular polarization like a camera lens or vertical [horizontal?] like most tinted polarized glasses. But un-tinted or barely tinted polarized lens don't exist. Yellow is good for brightening up the scenery at dusk but it doesn't do a damned thing for the twilight glare or the glare when it's rainy or misty at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your prescription and try one of the online glass companies. I know multiple people using them and everyone including myself is more than satisfied. Zennioptical.com

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.