Monday, April 8, 2019

Pawpaws

Dolba hyloeus, the Pawpaw Sphinx

I am cleaning out various nursery rows.

One of the plants that I am cleaning out are pawpaws. Pawpaws are not my favorite wild fruit. One a year is my quota.

Pawpaws do well around here. They are bothered by very few pests.

Even though I don't care much for pawpaws, several of our most spectacular moths and butterflies favor them for larval food.

Another image of the Pawpaw Sphinx





Protographium marcellus, Zebra Swallowtail
I lucky to have enough property that I can spare a couple of hundred square feet for moths and butterflies. I planted the pawpaws at the back of my property where light pollution is minimized by both distance and the lay of the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.