Tuesday, June 4, 2019

A few gardening pictures

I replanted the corn. I had only 3% of what I planted come up. I used different seed this time.


I use a mountain bike to press the seeds into contact with the soil to ensure they can access the moisture stored in the soil.
The grape cuttings are coming along.
Most of Mrs ERJ's garden is planted. Cherry tomatoes in the southeast and southwest corners (left side of image). Romaine lettuce on the left. Then Happyrich broccoli. Green leaf lettuce. Green beans and then sugar snap peas along the north fence on the right side of the image.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to know more about grape cuttings. I have a wild Concorde grape vine that covers my deck hand railings with a privacy wall of vines. These vines produce a lot of small but very tasty grapes. We also started making our own wine last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you only need a few vines it is often easier to "layer" them.

      Grape vines will strike roots if they are in contact with the soil. The easiest way I found to do this is to bend a young, flexible cane so the middle portion is touching the ground. Then place one or two chunks of firewood on top of the vine. A couple shovels of dirt are optional.

      Then tie the end of the vine up in the sun.

      It should have an awesome set of roots by next fall. Use a sharp shovel or nippers to separate the newly rooted shoot from the mama plant and transport to the new location. Best done after the leaves fall off.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.