It was an arduous day.
The Captain dropped his first calf and he wants to move his 18 cows over to my pasture. But before he can do that I have to clean up all of the trees I dropped on the fence over the winter. Much cutting and heavy lifting. It feels like I drank a gallon of iced tea.
Then I rototilled the new potato patch. It is 75 feet by 90 feet, or about 1/8 of an acre. It tilled very quickly. I left a couple of spots where I had some turnips that did not winter kill. I will be thrilled if I get some self seeding.
I tried to burn some brush but the wood is still too green. I tried something new, a roll of toilet paper soaked in kerosene. It makes a nice, hot, long burning fire starter.
This was a serious test winter for us. Several of my climbing roses winter killed down to the snow line. I will report on the winners and losers when they start to push buds. I also did a little bit of grafting and some of my scion wood looked winter killed. The cambium was black.
It also looks like I lost three of my four bee hives. The one that survived is the one I did the least fancy stuff to. That is going to take some pondering.
I moved a young pear tree. As reported earlier, I removed every other row in my closest orchard. I have a few spots in the rows that I left where the tree either died or was doing very poorly. This pear tree came out of one of the rows I was removing and was small enough to dig up and plug into one of the holes in a row I am keeping.
Finally, I drove down to Jackson to pick up the girls. Kubota and I did "OK" while they were gone but Kubota went bananas when they showed up.
Boys have an awkward way of showing affection.
Post a Comment