Monday, April 6, 2020

Working in the swamp

No pictures.

I planted a hundred Bald Cypress today at the lease. It is a good substitute for ash trees killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. Like Ash, Cypress can take a lot of "wet".

While I was in the marsh I scattered about twenty pounds of Water Oak acorns and ten pounds of Northern Missouri pecans. The acorns were from South Carolina and I don't know how many of them will survive our winters. I have no doubt the Missouri pecans will do fine.

Slogging around the swamp was exhausting.

I planted a few raspberry bushes in the new orchard.

Where we are in Springtime
The pussy willows are pollinating. The catkins are fully extended and have a golden aura.

Silver Maple are pollinating.

Aspen is about done.

The first few daffodils are blooming.

Looking at the calendar, it is too early to be grafting but I could not contain myself. I grafted a couple of apples in my home orchard.

One of the apples I grafted was seedling that impressed me in one of our wildlife plantings. The fruit was very similar to a Gala except crisper, redder and much later. In the past I have grafted other selections from the semi-wild plantings and they have not been as exciting in the orchard. Maybe this one will break that trend.

The other apple was Belle de Boskoop, one of the high Vitamin C cultivars mentioned in an earlier post.

1 comment:

  1. Were these cypress seed you broadcast? Did you germinate them first, put them in the chiller for 90 days, what? Thanks Joe.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.