Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pussy Willow revisited

The native Pussy Willow (Salix discolor) is coming into bloom.

I checked some of the populations (Lake Interstate and Bunker Hwy) I had collected samples from.  Between 80% and 90% of the samples were attracting no pollinating insects.  I cut new samples from the specimens that were most attractive to insects.  I will pitch the old ones....having only one-in-five or one-in-ten pay off is just not good enough.

Experiences like this are the reason for my tag line, "...Test everything.  Keep what is good."

Many catkins.  No bugs.
The specimens with the most action were yellow with pollen, very densely loaded with catkins and fragrant. I suspect that the most attractive specimens also have heavy nectar loading (which is visible to bees in the near infrared spectrum)
Not the greatest shot but there are three insects in flights caught in this photo.
Some of the catkins are 1.75 inches long.
A close-up of one of the select specimens.  I "stuck" these cuttings in my garden and they were immediately attracting bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.