Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Poaching Plants

Mrs ERJ has been trying to domesticate me for almost 30 years.  She has been successful for the most part.

One of my weaknesses is that I will liberate plants from what appear to be abandoned places. I had mentally marked an old foundation on Billwood Highway last summer.  There were an abundance of what looked like heirloom roses that had spread up and down the edge of the brush that had grown up around the place.

The property is up for sale for commercial real estate.  It was either me or the bulldozers.

No tip die-back.  This selection spreads by rhizomes and has many, "soft" thorns.  Flowers were pink "cabbage type".

I also scored a goodly handful of violets.  There are many, many species of violets. Based on the fragrance I think these are the non-native Viola odorataThis is certainly a vigorous selection, the better part of a half acre was carpeted with them.

Many of the older landscaping plants quickly petered away.  They were not good fits for the environment or were vulnerable to disease.

Perhaps the ones that survived are invasive aliens.  Rhubarb, yellow roses, horse radish, orange triploid day lilies, lilacs, apple trees, and Norway spruce are common markers of old home sites.

I am fond of almost any plant that smells nice and can fend for its self.  Low maintenance is good. 

PS: Rose hips and all parts of the violet are edible.  I also like food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.