Saturday, February 3, 2024

The sun is shining, time for photos

 

I lost a tree here when high winds snapped it off at the graft. the replacement is lower-left and wrapped in newspaper. The gray dusting on the ground is pulverized limestone

This tree blew over but did not snap at the graft. Maybe an advantage of being poorly rooted? I topped it and then winched it back into position.

Another tree with the same issue.


Kale


Chickweed (edible!)

Peppermint

Closeup of chickweed

Cabbages

Yellow Rocket

Another example of Yellow Rocket showing glossy leaves.

Onion that escaped harvest


Bird-house sized for Bluebirds and Tree Swallows. The "snout" was an attempt to thwart possum and coons from eating nestlings

Turnip

Zeus inspecting patch of turnips, radish and rutabaga


A pruned pear tree. This was grafted to a "monument" pear found on Shaytown Rd by Vermontville. Probably a Kiefer pear but I will not know until it fruits.


Another pruned pear tree. There were two trees at the old farmstead. To keep them straight, I grafted the tree on the east with scion from the tree that was growing on the east and the tree on the west with scion from the more western tree.

A pruned Asian pear. Scion from Bellevue Hwy approximately 1689 feet Eastnortheast of Russ Nelson's office.

A quince selection from Lon Rombough's collection by way of Western Kentucky. Notable for the branches being spread. Look for the light-blue twine.

Strawberries!!! Beneath the mulch.

Asian radishes.

Turnips

Kale, looking rather battered after snow and deer browsing.

Rutabagas

Bittercress. Three species are found in Michigan. Only botanists can tell them apart.

The 2023 potato patch, mostly unharvested.

A 48" long kale plant, lounging like a WWII pin-up girl.

Zeus inspecting some turnips


2024 corn patch.

Lots of bittercress. I don't remember there being that much when I tilled it. Latent seeds?

Catnip

Ground Ivy

Some of the plants I highlighted are barely "edible".

Historically, the challenge for this time of year was to find enough calories and enough Vitamin C. If it is green and not toxic, it probably has therapeutic levels of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is water soluble so chopping up the leaves or pine needles or rose-hips and steeping them in water is a viable way of extracting the Vitamin C.

9 comments:

  1. You sure are good at remembering all those plants out there. I sure wish I was that good at it.---ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my original apples, on M111/M9 rootstock, leaned 45 degrees, to almost lying on the ground like that kale impersonating a WWII pinup gal. Had to jack them back into position and prop them up with concrete blocks or a big chunk of Osage Orange. Eventually just pulled them out.
    Chickweed is, indeed edible. I ate a chickweed salad for at least one meal a day back in 2017, when I was making serious moves to lose some weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious why the spuds went unharvested.

    I found the more Kale is harvested, the more prodigious the plant. (That may not apply to all Kale species. I only grew two types. I do not remember the names.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short and honest answer is "Poor planning on my part".

      The lovely Mrs ERJ gently suggested that we only need 200 pounds of spuds in the pantry/root-cellar.

      Not being totally daft, I respected her "suggestion" and stopped digging potatoes when I hit that number.

      Should the need arise, the potatoes are still there. They might need a couple weeks of +50F to taste right. Most varieties convert some of the starch to sugar when they get cold and it makes them taste funny.

      I do need to dig them. If I leave them, then the wire-worm population will explode and that is bad news.

      Delete
    2. Joe, thank you for answering. I recall your 2022 potato harvest had 'problems' too.

      May I suggest that extra be given to a food bank. Maybe have one or two select youths do the labor. Object lessons abound on top of providing nutrition.

      Delete
  4. Been in the 30's here today. Got over an inch of rain, and it snowed like crazy for several hours. HUGE flakes that almost looked like pieces of paper coming down. Good to see it's getting to be Spring out your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr Jim:

      It is great to see that you are feeling better.

      -Joe

      Delete
    2. Thanks, ERJ! I'm still a bit stiff and sluggish until I get everything flushed out, but feeling a couple of orders of magnitude better than when I went in.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.