Sunday, October 13, 2013

The World of "Is"

I was just helping Belladonna with her Physics homework.

At one point, she lamented the need to keep denominator and numerators straight.  She ended up with a speed of light Something*e-09.

I told her it mattered.  I showed her the utility of using algebra to manipulate the symbols and holding off on calculating as the final step.  It is much easier to find your boo-boos because numbers are anonymous.

Belladonna said, "It should not matter."

That is when I shared a hoary bit of Dadly wisdom:

Crazy people live in the world of 'Should'.  

Sane people live in the world of 'Is'.


I told her I would write it down for future reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.