Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Orville Clarence Redenbacher's finest

Hospice took over bathing dad.

It is a relief. I lived in fear of dad taking a tumble in the bathroom.

One of the funny things that happened when I was bathing dad is that I noticed the rich, buttery aromas coming from dad after I bathed him.

A few weeks later I noticed that the large, green plastic bowl I used to warm up the water and hold the washcloths while bathing dad holding the remnants of Orville Redenbacher's Movie Theater Extra Butter popcorn.

Keep in mind that these washcloths started with dad's face and head and ended with his nethermost, unmentionable regions. After bathing him, I would rinse it out and wipe it dry with paper towels. Then I would take it home until next week.

Now, imagine a twenty-year-old boy who is loath to clean a bowl for his popcorn.

I consider it a win-win. Dad smelled nice for several weeks in a row and Kubota received several infusions from Dad's microbiome, the one that carried him for 94 years and may have contributed to his sunny disposition.

7 comments:

  1. There are many worse things one could smell like than rich, buttery popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to bathe my dad once.
    He died two days later.
    I maintain he died of embarrassment.
    And heart disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. That's funny.

    I'm thinking that this is going to set up a competition among my children as to who can best butter up dad (me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you asked Kubota how the popcorn tasted yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I think this is one of those cases of "Let sleeping dogs lie." or maybe "What he doesn't know won't hurt him."

      Delete
  5. Just tell him you were trying out a prototype of Orville Redenbacher's new 'Irish Spring' line.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.