Bill over at e.IA.f.t has a good post about adults fighting. Bill does a very good job discussing a video that was referenced in the post. It is a good thing, because it looks like Facebook took the video down.
In a nutshell, Bill's advice is to not "dance" when you find yourself embroiled in an altercation that could go sideways. If you find yourself in a fight, do as much damage to the other party as quickly as possible.
As always, Get off the X. And for your personal well being, call 9-1-1 as soon as you are in a safe place. The first person to call 9-1-1 establishes the default narrative. Everybody else becomes nicknamed "Defendant".
No-nonsense Self Defense
That point of view is supported by the author of No-nonsense Self Defense. The link points to an article that is specifically about "knife fighting" but the concept applies to any street fighting.
Civilized people are at a disadvantage in street violence, just like a dog is disadvantaged in a conflict with a wolf. A wolf does not "fight", it kills. The wolf starves if it cannot efficiently kill with little or no risk to itself. The dog thinks it is going to a fight. The wolf knows that it is the axe-man in an execution.
So it is with a street animal. There will not be "a fight." They left that silliness back in 8th grade with the pecking order game. Street violence is not about establishing pecking order. It is the unilateral dishing of violence for gain.
Here are the "myths of knife fighting" as seen by the author of No-Nonsense Self Defense. He does a fine job explaining each "lie". The links are hot. You should be able to pop open any topic that interests you.
Attribution: These are No-Nonsense Self Defense links. They are NOT my links.
- Lie #1You're going to have time to draw your own weapon
- Lie #2 It's going to be a knife "fight"
- Lie #3 But what if I'm cornered?"
- Lie #4 He's going to attack you a specific way
- Lie# 5 And then he is going to passively stand there while you carve him
- Lie #6 Trapping and stripping
- Lie #7 Bio-mechanical cutting
- Lie #8 Knowing how to stickfight means you know how to knife fight
- Lie #9 Knowing kali makes you a knife fighter
- Lie #10 Grappling with a knife
- Lie #11 The knife is an extension of your hand
- Lie #12 There is such a thing as a "master knife fighter"
- Lie #13 That this is a "fight" at all
- Lie #14 Expect to get cut
- Lie #15 The FMA are the ultimate knife fighting systems
- Lie #16 It's easy to disarm an armed opponent
- Lie #17 You can successfully fight an armed attacker
- Lie #18 Drills teach you how to knife fight
- Lie #19 You can use a knife on another human being without legal repercussions