Saturday, September 12, 2015

Thanks a bunch, Microsoft

From The Inquirer:

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

"The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'.

"I know of two instances where people on metered connections went over their data cap for August because of this unwanted download. My own internet (slow DSL) was crawling for a week or so until I discovered this problem.
 Let's do the math:  Three computers running Windows 7 in the house, all on my 30G/month data plan....the largest Verizon offers residential customers.  We have 30 Gig because we use 30 Gig.  We pay $10/Gig overage fees.

Three computers times three-point-five Gigabytes equals one hundred-ten dollars in overage fees.

Three computers times six Gigabytes equals one hundred-eighty dollars in overage fees.

Maybe I have been too hard on Kubota.

Maybe Microsoft is the one I should be unplugging.

I wonder if the concept of "net neutrality" means that any company can freely push multiple gigabytes through my private router and cause me to incur data fees?  There is undoubtedly somebody dreaming of putting an IP address on every item that consumes power in my house.  Supposedly, the amount of energy consumed by all of the AC-DC power supplies in America is the equivalent of one full-sized power plant.  Even if that never happens, there are many hidden IP capable devices.  I am thinking of all of the "game systems" that Kubota and his friends have.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, and I wonder if that is even legal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, and I wonder if that is even legal...

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.