Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Apple picking season

I held off as long as I could.

There must be eighty pounds of apples under each tree.
Finally, I could not stand to see any more windfalls.  I hate seeing waste.  I put out the word.

Fast Eddie showed up with his grandson, Horse.  The kid is not "Horse" because he is big.  He is "Horse" because he is a worker.

There is still many apples on each tree.  Asian pear in the foreground.
Close-up of a branch.  Liberty is purplish-red and do not show up against the foliage.

Fast Eddie and Horse picked 150 pounds off of the tree I gave them.  I like to give folks one tree and have them pick it clean.  The best way to keep them on their tree is to stay there and help them.

We had very good rains all summer long.  Consequently, the apples sized up as big as I have ever seen them.

It was taking Fast Eddie forever to fill up this one basket.  I knew he would figure out the problem sooner or later, so I did not tell him.

Fast Eddie delivered these apples to a daycare.  He is coming back today and will be picking for the Senior Center.

2 comments:

  1. Leave a few on the ground on the ground for the possums and the deer. They'll eat the rots and the culls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. special announcement. classified info revealed.

    ravens apple sauce recipe. Tart, low sugar.

    about 20-25 good tart apples. Grannys are excellent. An old fashioned peeler/corer not essential but will make short work of a chore.

    Fill a big 10"x12" pot with cut peeled apples. Add one cup of water ,use a low heat and maybe a steel round plate over the burner to keep from burning.

    In a dry bowl,-put 1/2 to 1 cup sugar depending on how sweet you like it.
    Add 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 teaspoons allspice
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cloves.
    Mix it up and add to apples. cook covered on low heat till done-about three hours more or less. I mash them with a potato masher as I prefer slightly chunky apple sauce.

    Taste and if the sauce is too sweet, or bland, add a few teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Not necessary with Granny smith apples, others may be sweet.
    This will make one gallon.
    This is essentially my Moms pie filling recipe, she was a diabetic so all our desserts were quite tart.
    Makes a delicious breakfast mixed with unsweetened yogurt, or on top of pancakes, or plain.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.