Sunday, April 19, 2015

Rechargeable batteries

The last time the ERJ family made an effort to implement rechargeable batteries was about 10 years ago.

The batteries disappeared, even though the batteries were marked with yellow electrical tape.

I had kids using the devices the batteries were in: cameras, flashlights, etc.  When they were dead, they pitched them and reloaded with disposable.

I still have kids, and they are about the same ages as the last batch was ten years ago.  The difference is that they have cell phones.  These phones have a camera and lights.  They would not borrow my devices unless we were camping and they did not want to risk losing their phone.

A Plano tackle box with 10 compartments.  The cards are reversible.  The other side says "Charged".
I needed to add a few dollars to an order from an on-line retailer to get free shipping.  I decided, "What the heck.  I bought 16 rechargable AA batteries."


I determined that I needed a solid way of keeping track of my rechargeable batteries.  Even the inexpensive batteries are "spendy" at $1.75 each.  My original vision was to use a flip-top ammo carrier.  I ditched that idea because I would have to buy on-line and I really don't need capacity for 50 batteries.  I found a small Plano tackle box that will work even better.

Rechargeable batteries

Rechargeable batteries are still not as good as disposable for some applications.  There peak power output is not as great as standard, off-the-shelf alkaline batteries.  So applications that demand short pulses of high output (flash on camera, tasers) are more suited for disposable batteries. 

Disposable alkaline batteries also have higher power density per gram than NiMH batteries.  That might be a factor if you were backpacking and every gram counted.

Most of my use for AA batteries are for LED flashlights and non-flash digital camera use for this blog.  I think I will be very happy with these batteries if I can keep track of them.

1 comment:

  1. I used to buy NiCad rechargeables but was always disappointed when they would be discharged when needed. They just would not stay charged over a week or so. There are new types of NiMH rechargables that will hold 80% of their charge for a year Eneloop and some Tenergy brands have this technology. I now buy the long shelf life type only.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.