Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Gunwriter quotes

Rick Bin runs a great website at 24hourcampfire.  They have a thread on Gun Writer quotes on the Ask the Gunwrites forum.

I am sure Rick will like it if a few of you follow this post over to his site.

At the last SHOT show, I was chatting with Ron Spomer and informed him that I was greatly offended.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I've been on several hunts lately where fellow writers kept telling me I look like you," I said.

Without missing a beat, he replied, "I think they're trying to insult both of us."

"It's not premarital sex if you don't plan on marrying them"

"Bird hunting without a dog is like having sex without a woman."

"If you are looking for sympathy you can always find it in the dictionary between sh-t and syphylis."

"If you shoot someone with a 25 acp, and he finds out about it, he is going to be upset with you"
 "You don't get down from a log, you get down from a goose."

"That stock is so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile."

I like to do all of my hunting before I shoot.

"If God had intended you to shoot one of those ( O/U) He would have stacked your eyes that way..."

Robert Ruark said of the African Buffalo: “He looked at me as though I owed him money. I never saw such malevolence in the eyes of any animal or human being before or since. So I
shot him.”

"That rifle looks like it was put together by a pimp."

"Do not carry a 25 acp, but if you must, do not load it. You may shoot someone and it make him angry and he will do you bodily harm"

"A great many good fellows are comforted by and have a touching faith in tables and charts which optimistically guarantee to reduce caliber killing efficiency to a mathematical formula. There is nothing much wrong with this,as long as it is not taken too seriously and is seen i proper perspective,which is, home entertainment value..."

Masaad Ayoob on the .25acp..." Its a nice thing to have when you can't carry a gun..."

"Elmer (Kieth) just seems to naturally prefer rifles upon which wheels would be most appropriate "

"The internet - home of those who don't know much and aren't afraid to go public."

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."

"...money is a flat rifle looking for a third dimension."

"Explain 'overkill'. How can something wind up 'overdead'?"
"You can skin a buffalo with a pen knife, but it doesn't say much about the intelligence of the person doing it".

"I was a deer hunter before I became a man." 

"The perfect elk rifle is something that'll throw a cast iron cook stove at 2400 feet per second"

"The best place to shoot a moose is right next to a forklift." 

"Weapons are the tools of power," Jeff Cooper wrote back in 1979. "In the hands of the state, they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals, they are the tools of evil. In the hands of the free and decent citizen, they should be the tools of liberty. Weapons compound man's power to achieve whatever purpose he may have. They amplify the capabilities of both the good man and the bad, and to exactly the same degree, having no will of their own. Thus, we must regard them as servants, not masters--and good servants of good men. Without them, man is diminished, and his opportunities to fulfill his destiny are lessened. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Nine-millimeters are all well and good until someone loses an eye.

The 45 ACP is not the ideal cartridge, it is the cartridge chambered in the ideal pistol.

2 comments:

  1. Great quotes, all. I've seen most of them at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the moose/forklift one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.