Sunday, April 12, 2015

Does the New Testament mandate Communism?


The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common.
With great power the apostles bore witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great favor was accorded them all.
There was no needy person among them, for those who owned property or houses would sell them, bring the proceeds of the sale, and put them at the feet of the apostles, and they were distributed to each according to need.         -Acts 4:32-35  NAB

 It sounds as if the New Testament is mandating Communism.  Communism, an economic system that failed every time it has been tried.  Communism, used as a cover for coercion, oppression, totalitarianism and genocide.

What should a believer do?  Avert their eyes?  Dismiss the writing as hopelessly naive economic utopianism?

What is your mission?


Father David impressed me with today's sermon.  He did not duck, bob or weave.  He went after it like a duck after a June Bug.

Most of us have family that we would kill or die for.  Since we are willing to die for them, it stands to reason that we are also willing to sacrifice our property, our house or any of our possessions for them.

Mrs ERJ moved into my house after we got married.  My closets became her closets.  My shelves became her shelves.  Her couch became my couch.  It was no longer "my" house, it was "our" house.  It worked because forging a family was our God given mission.  It still is.

The underlying error in the Bible ===> Communism is to assume that it was referring to governments.  It was speaking to us at the most basic human, organizational levels:  Our families and those who share our mission.

The devil is in the details


The devil is a master of judo, using our momentum to achieve his own ends.  We must be prayerful and exercise discernment lest we morph into "me" focus rather than focusing on the mission that God has for us.

As a guy, I own up to the fact that I sometimes hyper-focus on the immediate task to the exclusion to the over-arching goal.  I was that guy who was trying to light the lantern ("Dang, I know I can get this sucker lit if I can just...") as the tornado slammed into the house.

One of my missions is to make this little corner of Michigan bloom and to produce food in a sustainable way.  I need to exercise care to keep it all integrated and in-balance with my other God-given missions.

Call it a need for greater peripheral vision, listening skills or situational awareness.  Call it whatever you want.  That is what I need to pray for:  Keep my eye on the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.