Friday, September 27, 2013

Forgetfulness is a sign of old age

I forgot my fanny pack (and camera) when I went into town.  So after dropping off my gym partner,  I swung by where I park at the start of my run, I reset the trip odometer, swung by Quality Dairy (a local convenience store that is a block off my route), picked up a couple of bottles of Powerade and spotted them along my route.  I finished driving around my route and parked in the usual place.

5.0 miles.  Hmmmm!

Obviously I could not cut through the soccer and softball complex but I also did not go through the Church campground and come out behind where I parked....so that should be about a wash.

It sounds stupid, but I feel a lot more tired.

Current alternatives to running are to bike and to fish.  Maybe bike on Tuesday and fish on Thursday.  This story is still developing.

Cider:

My wonderful, younger sister Therese organized an apple picking and cider pressing party for tomorrow.  I dropped off 10 clean grain bags and a tarp.  Cider apples do not need to be treated gently.  One can just shake them down from the tree.  The trees are at my mom and dad's cottage.

I walked the orchard and yellow jackets are going to be a pain.

I don't know if I will get out to help.

I started a jug of hard-cider yeast culture just in case my wonderful sister Therese offers me some.  I took a gallon of store-bought cider (from Quality Dairy, no preservatives!) and added a package of  Red Star Cotes des Blancs wine yeast I found while grubbing around in the freezer.  Yeast can double every 2 hours so a 20 hour head start can result in 1000X more viable yeast cells to out-compete the wild.

I also found some small pistol primers in the deep freeze.  Gotta love freezers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.