Monday, October 2, 2023

Never give up

The old saw is that if you want to get something done, give the task to somebody who is busy.

That appears to be the case. I find my discretionary hours reduced while caring for Quicksilver. If you are married and of a certain age then you might notice that sometimes you are going to assorted medical appointments with an increased frequency. And in the lulls when you are not going, your spouse is.

Such has been the case over the last few weeks. If Mrs ERJ were a vehicle, her chassis was worked on, the motor tuned up, all of the moldings detailed and Armor-alled, the paint buffed-and-waxed, the electrical system had the codes pulled and zeroed out...and so on and so forth.

So, I have had Quicksilver a little bit more than originally envisioned. Not a big deal but it kicked me out of cruise-control.

For one thing, I need to move more. So, this morning I stuffed Quicksilver into the backpack and put a pack on Zeus with necessities and we went for a walk at first, full-light.

It was a short, shake-down run. "Stop while we are still having fun" is the way to grow an activity. We walked a scant 3/4 mile down the road and returned. We made it ten minutes before I had to start feeding Quicksilver kibbles of Purina People-chow that Zeus had generously been carrying for us.

Tomorrow we will shoot for a mile-out and a mile-back. My goal is to get up to three miles on the days when the weather is favorable. It makes a grand start to the day.

Miscellaneous pictures

Some Romaine lettuce that I cut and forgot about. The leaves wilted even as new leaves ventured forth from the crown. Never give up!  I like the play of the different shades of green.

Lon Rombough, a plant-geek from Oregon (sadly, now deceased) once shared the opinion that a transplant is not dead until it has been dead for at least two years. This pecan seedling was girdled the winter I transplanted it and it did NOTHING the first summer. But look! It lives. Never give up.


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your walk! That is wonderful.
    Prayers for Mrs. ERJ's quick return to good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs ERJ is in good health. It is just that her yearly checks for this, that and the other thing are clustered around this time of year. Then, throw in a few other miscellaneous obligations and it seems like a lot.

      Delete
  2. As I attempt to clear more land and push the edges of the forest back, I am impressed with the tenacity of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hikes sound like a great way to bond with their Grands and also give you a physical workout too. A win-win. I'm sure some memories will be made on her side too, especially if Grandpa makes a point of finding and showing her those 'little miracles' that happen all around us without us noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Q michauxii oak that I have declared dead every years since 2019 and it still lives somehow barely out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.