Saturday, October 21, 2023

Gadgets, technology, prices, cabbage and other stuff

I am not a big "gadget" guy but they can make life easier.

I have a backpack that I put Quicksilver into and we take walks. It has been good for my physical and emotional health to get outside and walk for two or three miles. Quicksilver seems to enjoy it as long as there are birds, squirrels, dogs and cats to look at while walking.

I have a blinking LED light that I put in the mesh bag on the back of the pack for visibility. I simply turn it on to "heartbeat mode" and drop it in. That gives me peace of mind.

I added a solar-powered passive, IR driveway sensor to our bristling array of defense-in-depth. Handsome Hombre drops Quicksilver off at various times depending on when he is expected to show up at work. The sensor chimes that somebody comes up the driveway. Last night at 1:08 a half-dozen deer walked through and woke me up, but that is the price of progress.

The official blogging lap-top

The official ERJ blogging lap-top had a near-death experience a couple of days ago. It stopped charging. The battery icon would show it was charging but it never gained charge in the battery.

Quicksilver is as enchanted with this device as I am. She watches me as I plug things into the various ports on the device. She mimics me. Carrots, pacifiers, tableware, pencils...all manner of non-standard hardware have been tested for Windows 7 compatibility. When Quicksilver gets too kinetic, I put the lap-top into "time-out" to keep it safe and as a mild form of discipline (both Quicksilver and I suffer).

I was beset with anxiety. I did not panic but I priced out a new battery and charger. My anxiety increased when I undid all of the screws on the bottom of the keyboard and could not pry off the cover plate.

The problem resolved itself when I was transporting the lap-top and charger out of time-out. The connection between the 120V cable and the step-down transformer was loose. I firmly seated the 120V cable into the transformer and now everybody is happy.

Big sigh of relief!

Technology giveth and technology taketh away

My ability to comment is still mysteriously not working.

Reader Michael commented that the US population in 1850 was about 10% of our current population. He also noted that when the technology fails that we will likely see a horrific famine. Michael is implying that access to the inputs needed to execute those technologies are likely to be impaired for any one of dozens of reasons.

I mostly agree with his premise AND I want to add some nuance. Some "technology" is as simple as dates penciled on to the door-frame of a garden shed. Or selected land-races of various crops. Or the idea of growing multiple crops in the same field or a crop-rotation that includes nitrogen-fixing crops. Or the concepts of vitamins and complementary amino-acids in various foods.

Same for food-storage. Dry foods last a long time. Sprouting grains and other seeds are a way of "making" vegetables in the winter that don't involve South America and Boeing 747s. Root-cellars, clamps and mulching root crops will keep many vegetables in eatable condition until spring-time. Pickling and fermentation can both preserve foods and increase some vitamins.

Technology that is "knowledge" can be scaled very rapidly and can be very durable. The key phrase is ...can be. Many of our recent failures in technology were due to atrophy of the skill-base. The water treatment plants in Flint, Michigan and Jackson, Mississippi as well as countless data breaches in the cyber realm come to mind. 

Prices

 

I had the opportunity to eat breakfast in real restaurants twice this week.

The first was at Truckin' Good Diner in Lansing. $15 for a pulled-pork sandwich and a half-handful of french-fries. Throw in a beverage and a tip and you were looking at a $25 bill. Yuppies and hip-young people were a steady stream of showing up and then walking away because there was a fifteen minute wait to get into the restaurant.

The second time was at a more local diner and with the tip it was $25 for a single two-egg omelette (which we split it three ways), a side of coleslaw and a cup of hot-chocolate (Quicksilver's first taste). 

---An Aside---

My plan for today is to go out to our garden and pick a head of cabbage and turn it into $60 worth of coleslaw with fifteen minutes of work.

I will consider it a great favor if any of my readers want to volunteer recipes for their favorite dressing for coleslaw. I like shredding in carrots and maybe even some tart apples. I favor non-creamy dressings that are not super-sweet but I will read all of the comments. I should have enough shredded cabbage to attempt several different batches of dressing. 

---End Aside---

The hip-young people will never have positive net-assets as long as they value "experiences" as much as they do.

Shelving

I am building some shelving to fit along a wall of our basement. I am enjoying the mental exercise. I will NEVER be a finish carpenter but it is shelving and it is going into a basement.

The specifications are for the shelving to span 12'  to be 16" deep and to have shelves at 16", 32", 44-3/4", 57-1/2", 70-3/4" height above the floor.

Mrs ERJ's enunciation

Strangely enough, Mrs ERJ's ability to enunciate words took a remarkable turn for the better this week.

14 comments:

  1. My previous choice for small batch was 1/4 cup or so mayo, a tsp of sugar, 1/4 tsp of cider vinegar, salt, pepper, & celery seed. Taste and adjust to what you like. Lately I’m going much more sugar, and I left out the vinegar altogether. I use a lot of carrot in the cabbage, a little onion, and a handful of raisins.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old is the laptop?
    Do you regularly use the laptop while it's plugged in?
    That will kill a rechargeable battery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chick-fil-a original dressing recipe. Alter to taste. Also used for broccoli salad.

    4 teaspoons vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 10 oz. bags of finely shredded cabbage, chopped to 1/8" thick
    1/4 cup finely chopped carrots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this recipe, an old buddy added some finely chopped Habanero Peppers, just one or two, to give it some zip. He called it his "Go to hell" coleslaw.

      Delete
  4. For a medium head of cabbage:
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment about Quicksilver mimicking your actions with the computer reminded me of when our boy was a toddler. We would find many things stuck in the floppy drive drawer occasionally. Bob in B.R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got the crap out of your ears safely!
    Your story about youngins and their blind spot is funny. An in-law of that ilk was lamenting on social media he does not think he will ever be able to afford a home, despite having a 6-figure salary job. He posted this comment while attending an NFL exhibition game in London, England without a hint of sarcasm nor irony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/cider-vinegar-coleslaw-12544654

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandma's Cabbage Salad
    Chop: 1 medium size cabbage
    Heat: 1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp mustard seed
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp salt
    Cool: add 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
    1/4 cup chopped onion

    sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. ERJ, $15 for a sandwich/$25 for a meal actually sounds close to what is the going rate in these parts as well. Tack on multiple people and a family dinner looks a lot like $100 or more. I will say that when we eat now (which is a lot less than we used to), we usually get another two to three meals out of it in leftovers, which does cut the cost a bit.

    Were I a smarter man, I would think that we now live in "The Experience Culture". Part of that is brought on by the social media culture - everything is about us all the time (and showing things about us), part of it is brought on by the fact that people have convinced themselves that experiences are the only things that matter. That derives in no small part that for most of Western Society (the place where such a culture is most prominent), the daily needs are taken care of effectively remotely, leaving only experiences to fill the time with. Eating, food, cleaning - one could completely outsource one's life, which leaves one nothing but time to experience. The cost, of course, comes with actual dollars attached but even more importantly, with the loss of the knowledge of how to do those basic tasks. The job may fly away, but the laundry, cooking, and cleaning will not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat out very much. The wife didn't want to cook one evening last week so we walked down to a local "sports bar" type place. (we had a gift card as well !!!)
      My burger and fries was $17.00. The week before we went to Cane's and two dinners were $22.00 Last summer I got a bucket at KFC and that was almost $30.00. That's the going price today. I thank GOD every day that Joe Biden is helping us because otherwise we'd be screwed........

      Delete
    2. I too rarely eat out. After 50ish years of playing in the Food Service World I can make anything I want to. It’s just, being single I rarely want. Lol It’s easier to fork over $10 for a crispy chicken sandwich at the local cafe/pharmacy/knickknack shop. That $10 bucks includes the tip and everything. The sandwich is very good, hot and fresh. Comes with chips which I usually eat later. Not big on chips or fry’s. Or soda, so I always get water.
      Just back from Rogers AR where I was doing some pre-winter shopping. For what passes for winter in Southern MO. Not at all like WI. 2 of my sons went with me. And we ate at our usual Mexican place. They had raised prices only a few cents since last spring. Most of the plates were in $9-13 range and will fill you up.. I fed all 3 of us for a little over $50 including tip. I always get excellent service there and always tip well. Can’t wait for next spring to go back there and eat again.

      Delete
  10. I like this recipe because it is simple and delicious. The rest of my family prefers creamy cole slaw dressing, so only every once in a while they suffer their way through this.

    Chop
    one large cabbage
    one carrot
    one onion

    Mix and blend
    one cup sugar
    one cup olive oil
    one cup white vinegar

    combine, cover and refrigerate; stir occasionally. Flavor continues to improve with time.

    Regards,
    Milton

    ReplyDelete
  11. no matter what concoction of mayo, vinegar, veggies used, personally I think celery salt makes the Cole slaw. vital ingredient for potato salad also.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.