Saturday, September 16, 2023

Tab clearing

 

Matthew W asked about the official roto-tiller of the ERJ blog.

It is a Troy-Bilt Colt FT (FT for Front-Tines). Purchased, to the best of my recollection, about 2012 after one of my kids somehow got gasoline in the oil of the old tiller and lunched the motor.

This tiller may not a perfect piece of equipment but a very solid performer, especially considering the price. They are available new with a price of about $650. I think I paid about $400 at the time when I bought it and I grumbled about the cost of things going up.

The engine was designed by Ryobi. It starts easily and has enough power. It is also economical with regard to fuel-consumption. The only issue I have had is that the sticker designating Choke/Run fell off.

The tilling width is nominally 24" but it can be reduced in increments of 6" by removing gangs of tiller-blades.

Would I change anything? Well, that is like asking if I am breathing.

I would use a collet-and-bolt or K-31 bolt to connect the tiller-gangs. They are a bugger to clear of tangled up vines, wire, baling twine and Che Guevara tee-shirts. It would speed the job immensely if I could remove the tine-gang by removing an end-bolt (which does not get buried) and then just pull off the junk.

I would make accommodations for lubricating the sealed chain drive; perhaps a bolt that could be removed and some diffy-lube added. A belt takes the power from the engine back to the pulley for the chain-drive.

The longevity of the chain-drive would probably be extended if the driven-pulley had a shorter off-set. That would bias the chain-drive to the engine and would result in three gangs to the right (from the driver's seat) and one gang of tiller blades to the left.

I would eliminate the fenders.

I would provide a valley to funnel the oil when changing the oil in the engine.

It would be nice if the rear wheels were pneumatic and more widely spaced...but that would add significant cost.

I might design an air-filter housing that could accommodate several different types of air-cleaner elements...supply chain snafus and all.

But that is about it.


The fenders are not very sturdy and take a beating. I don't know why they are there unless it is a Federal requirement to shield the tiller-blades.

The lower, horizontal sliding lever is the choke, clearly showing the sticker that is no long there. The upper lever is the throttle.

The fuel-tank is large enough to minimize stops to refuel. I think I fill the tank twice a season.

Kubota went to prison today

Unlike Slow-Joe in D.C., I am not ashamed to announce that my son steps up and does what needs to be done, even if it means going to prison.

Of course, my son works for a contractor who is WORKING at the prison, so that might be the difference. Kubota was installing mumble-mumble at the Gray-Bar Hotel in Carson City.

I got a chance to transport him. It was the first time I drove on Grange Road from I-96 north.

And while I am an unabashed cheerleader for Eaton County, Michigan; I must admit that the farms in eastern Ionia County make ours look shabby and ill-tended. EVERY farm on Grange Road within 5 miles of Westphalia, Michigan looked like it could be the centerfold on a 1950s, farm calendar.

On the way back, I had breakfast at Shiels Tavern in Hubbardston. My maternal Grandmother hailed from Hubbardston. The bar-keep and cook accepted me as family after I announced that fact. The omelet was more than I could eat and I paid the princely sum of $8.49. Toast was included at no extra cost.

Shiels claims to be Michigan's longest serving tavern under the same management. They have an entire wall dedicated to their liquor licenses dating back to 1936.

Other walls include vintage pictures of the Hubbardston Air Force (powered by MOPAR) and of students engaged in athletic events with arch-rivals.

Best laid plans of mice and men

I thought I was going to be picking apples today.

However, I was deflected into prepping another chunk of the garden for the winter.

That entails shredding the vegetation with a mower and then either spraying with herbicide or tilling.

I think many of my readers have some measure for "...are we there yet?" with regard to things getting sporty.

One of my markers is "Do people continue to ignore free food?" 

I have memories from the late-1960s of being loaned out to neighbors at various times to glean fields for green-beans and cucumbers. Hey, maybe there was not a lot of green beans left (there were) but they were FREE!.

Walnuts, hickory nuts, dandelion greens, bluegills, bullheads: FREE!

Mrs Stornach from Church had extra tomatoes? You can bet that Mother ERJ had her little ducklings marching there to clean out her garden.

Upper-working-class, maybe lower-middle-class in the late 1960s and the adults burned their "leisure time" chasing free-food.

We are not there yet. Tell somebody that you have a surplus of ripe pears and they will suggest that they will allow you to leave a pre-picked bag of them on their porch

Mrs ERJ is encouraging me to get serious about the gardens. I think she is reading the tea-leaves and thinks we will have no shortage of people who will help us eat what we grow.

16 comments:

  1. Good tiller. Looks well used !!!
    I suspect the shields are to keep sleeves and pant legs from getting caught......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilling up Che T-shirts?

    Hmmm....
    Either bury deeper or Morbark pre-treatment before disposal. Just spitballin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium

      Delete
  3. Bought a Troybilt back in 1966. Wore out 2 sets of times. Engine broke twice; second time parts were not available so had a local dealer put in a Honda engine. Tough machine is still running for my daughter’s boyfriend. (I’m 83 now - one of my lifetime Best Buys).
    Aside - does anyone know what is happening to L. Neil Smith’s website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what do you do with a blessing of over-anundance of lettuce? Went to the chickens here, as neighbors were also blessed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeze for soup in 1 quart bags. Right before serving toss in and stir for a minute.

      Delete
  5. They work... Today, THAT is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sporty, slowly at first. Then suddenly, overnite. Woody

    ReplyDelete


















  7. Are the Russians really going on the gold standard? Woody








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the governments of all the BRICS or wannabe countries. All either communists, strongman takeovers, or kakistocracies. None of them trust another.
      Now look at the value of fiat currencies: US dollar currently $1975 per Troy ounce. But the best of them is the UAE Dirham, at 3.67 to the dollar, the worst is Argentina, 350 pesos to the dollar. Russian Rubles are 90 to the dollar, Indian Rupees 82 to the dollar.
      A BRICS central bank with gold backed currency is a pipe dream.

      Delete
  8. I have a tiller very similar. I found it easier to remove the rear wheels and let it run on the tines/blades and sometimes burying itself than constantly burying the wheels and whatever else sticks down behind it. Rocking it side to side works well. I am heavy so I am able to use my weight to pull it out of a hole. For a very shallow tilling, I pull it backwards and the blades rake the ground. My father-in-law had the tiller with wheels in front and you only had to walk behind it. Much more difficult in a fenced garden.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Woody!
    Yes, BRICS currency will be backed by commodities and barberous yellow relics on deposit at central banks NOT run by the Rothschild family. You saw the sample note they circulated at the meeting? It IS happening, the dollar died when they kicked russia out of SWIFT. Chuckle chuckle, now they float letting some agricultural banks back in?! Whoops too late!

    I think the slowly part is coming to an end. Funny how everyone feels that?

    I believe you and the estimable Mrs. ERJ are on the right track. Though against my nature, I dropped 300 clams on a bagger for my lawnmower... because thats the most cost effective way for me to obtain and deposit organic matter onto the garden plot. Soil doesnt amend itself, and a one-time dose of peatmoss or manure for the same price just won't do the same job. So now I'm lugging 4.3 cu ft of cut grass back and forth... Can't wait to mulch up all the fallen leaves (I already have high nitrogen problems!)

    Time is short, dontchaknow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the tiller, especially for prepping soil after clearing land, but this year I prepped most of my garden area with a broad fork. If gas ever becomes scarce, a broad fork will still work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would be interested in a post about apple picking and storage? Always need something to post, right?

    This is the first year (in 7!) I got any apples at all - most of which the birds ate - so I only have a small bag in the fridge. I'm assuming yours are shiny and waxy looking like the ones at the grocers? Mine were all covered in black 'soot' on the skin, probably pesticide residue, they get peeled before eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ERJ, it is not just the rejecting of free food, it is the re-emergence of the ability to do basic skills like cooking. I fear even if many people got free food, they would be at loss of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So! Did you not get to read the story of the little red hen when you were a little boy? If so, then you know the little red hen didn't lack volunteers to eat the bread.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.